Advice please

nigel

So I didnt grow up with boats. I dont have a lot of friends with boats. So when I have a question I have to try to watch a YouTube video ot something, then next thing ya know I’ve wasted an hour watching random junk lol.  

so….I ask:  I have. 99 Redfisher 19.  Look, I love the boat, but I get beat up pretty good crossing big water.  My wife doesn’t care to ride.  Am I doing something wrong?  I have trim tabs but I’m not really understanding them. When I move them in position the boat seems to Lunge.  Should I have the engine trimmed lower or higher when using the tabs and am I even on the right track thinking the trim tabs can help me stay dryer on a rough day or is it just part of owning this kind of boat and big water ?

10 hours ago, nigel said:

So I didnt grow up with boats. I dont have a lot of friends with boats. So when I have a question I have to try to watch a YouTube video ot something, then next thing ya know I’ve wasted an hour watching random junk lol.  

so….I ask:  I have. 99 Redfisher 19.  Look, I love the boat, but I get beat up pretty good crossing big water.  My wife doesn’t care to ride.  Am I doing something wrong?  I have trim tabs but I’m not really understanding them. When I move them in position the boat seems to Lunge.  Should I have the engine trimmed lower or higher when using the tabs and am I even on the right track thinking the trim tabs can help me stay dryer on a rough day or is it just part of owning this kind of boat and big water ?

Yes the tabs and the engine trim will help alot. It’s all in learning how your boat handles in certain condition. Make small adjustments at a time starting with the tabs. I in choppy water tuck my engine full down, tabs up then adjust down to lower the bow till the ride becomes smooth and then trim the engine up to gain speed. This will also allow the boat to remain on plain at a slower speed. If getting spray from one side, tab to raise that side a bit to deflect the spray away from boat.

it’s all in getting to know you boat. Your Redfisher should give you a good ride in the conditions you mentioned. I cross Charlotte harbor in snotty conditions and the 18 handles it good. 😀👍️fin

• Like 1

How do I keep from stuffing the boat ?  Just take it slower I guess.  ?  I know I sound rookie.  I’m not to prideful to say I don’t know.    The jetties just get so *** rough in the afternoons around Panama City beach.  

• Like 1

It is hard for one to gauge exactly what “choppy” conditions were for you on that day. That is to say sometimes one may want to run hard and try to run across the “top” of the chop. Other times would be no way to run fully on plane type chop.. if you are trying to run on plane you would want to push your tabs down to force the bow down. Pushing the bow down will help the entry by getting the sharper part of the boat to enter the water first. Running tabs down will Also slow the bow from getting thrown into the air which means it will just come down harder. 
 In a smaller boat you may find it more comfortable to find a better track to your destination rather than a straight line. 
  Just keep playing with the controls. Throlltle tabs trim.. you will figure it out. 

• Like 2

Learning to trim your boat from scratch isn’t easy for anyone.

Light, fast boats must all be trimmed for any real change in load or speed. You have two ways to trim: Engine tilt and the tabs . They do different things and help for different problems.

Start on a calm day. Tabs up. At cruise speed, trim the engine up till you get the best speed and smooth run. If you get air in the prop, trim the engine Down some. If the boat starts to porpoise, trim the tabs down till it stops.

Now, add 500 rpm’s and trim it again if it needs it. Then turn and run down wind to see if it changes.

If you fill your livewell and put a fat cooler in the boat, it will change the balance and require trimming. You will eventually trim the boat by feel without thinking.. jackplates and those whale-tails on the lower unit add more to the trim menu..

Your hull will ‘like’ hitting waves at a certain angle, and not like it at some angles.. You have to figure that out too. You can use the tab to drop one side of the boat and cheat the angle, or stop some spray. 
Some chop is too big to run straight lines so you have to run angles till it rides well,  and deal with the longer distance travelled. 

Best to have someone show you the advanced stuff, rather than pack your head with button-pushing.

MM

• Like 2

Take the "seasoned boater" comment a bit further... I know many boaters who paid to have a local captain come on their boat and run them around a "new to the area" boaters... sometimes you can get a neighbor... and you can ask in your neighborhood of a captain or possibly another neighbor will be recommended.. either of them can give you some pointers as well on learning the ins and outs of motor trim and trim tabs... basic concept can be written in black and white, but knowledge and experience with time behind the wheel is what is needed. I read your "jetties" comment.. wind waves and current are one of the hardest to get comfortable with.. if we were all fair weather boaters, we would spend a lot more time on the lazy boy chair instead of behind the wheel.  You're asking questions and cudos for you on doing so....this is one of the best sites to get that help.  I see that you gave  a general area of location, don't be afraid to give more specifics about where you are at, where you are running.. there are some terrific people on here and you may just have one read this thread who is that person that you are looking to help you in your area and drop you a personal msg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:34 AM, nigel said:

How do I keep from stuffing the boat ?  Just take it slower I guess.  ?  I know I sound rookie.  I’m not to prideful to say I don’t know.    The jetties just get so *** rough in the afternoons around Panama City beach.  

If it’s a following sea maintain proper speed from water flowing over transom. If a head sea bow up, and judge wave conditions and will need to adjust speed as needed. It’s all a learning curve no matter the size of vessel. Some like to push thru going at an angle on a head sea to reduce stray and stuffing. Doing so you will roll a bit more. Same as crossing another’s boats wake.

I have been thru several inlets on the east fl. Coast and each time it’s different. Hint. If you not familiar with an inlet follow a local boat out as I did at St. Lucie. Needed to hug the stb side on inlet. Hopes this helps a bit. Never be afraid to ask questions on the Forum. That’s how we al learn from one another. 👍😀️fin. 74 and still learning until I’m boxed up and planted 😂😂.

• Like 1