Redfisher 18 Trim Tab Covers

Fsu11

Well....... once again lenco bites the dust and the crappy spot welds they do on their trim tab blades broke again. This time it decided to rip off the fiberglass cover and now I need to replace it. Any suggestions or ideas other than just removing both of them? I know MBG doesnt stock or isnt able to help with it so i'm assuming I will need to take it to a fiberglass shop to have it recreated based on the other side that is still good. Any ideas of what this might run me so I can be prepared to pay a fair price?

also future note once i get the new trim blade installed i am going to be drilling through the welds and thru bolting so this never happens again.

trim tab.jpg

trim tab1.jpg

• Sad 1

Good info on this - I need to check my MA tabs, after 23 years, I wonder how much longer they have.   I'd hate to break of that cover!

I do wonder if those covers are universal for all their models.   Might be worth checking.  I have a Master Angler and that looks exactly the same size and shape.  If they are all the same, you might find something at a junk yard or try THT to see if anyone has scrap ones laying around.    A lot of folks pull those off.

18 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Good info on this - I need to check my MA tabs, after 23 years, I wonder how much longer they have.   I'd hate to break of that cover!

I do wonder if those covers are universal for all their models.   Might be worth checking.  I have a Master Angler and that looks exactly the same size and shape.  If they are all the same, you might find something at a junk yard or try THT to see if anyone has scrap ones laying around.    A lot of folks pull those off.

yeah id definitely check yours, funny enough this is technically the third time its broken but this time it took part of the cover. the original starboard side broke and i had it rewelded back together, the portside i looked and i purchased a new blade 3 years ago and the spot welds broke this time taking the cover off with it. im planning to thru bolt 4 stainless bolts between the hinge and the blade so it never happens again.  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 6:45 PM, Blactaco23 said:

I made mine from black acrylic 

PXL_20230609_220000305.jpg

PXL_20230609_215309422.jpg

PXL_20230609_215300376.jpg

wow that looks great, i will definitely keep that in mind im planning on dropping the broken piece and the good piece off to a fiberglass shop today will see how much its going to run me first but this might be an idea.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fsu11 said:

wow that looks great, i will definitely keep that in mind im planning on dropping the broken piece and the good piece off to a fiberglass shop today will see how much its going to run me first but this might be an idea.

Only Cost me 10 bucks I think I bought two sheets for around 20 dollar and used one. Once I realized I was also missing the "cheese grater" I figured I can use the unused sheet for that piece aswell. Fortunately in my case both sides matched so hole placement was fairly easy

PXL_20230609_201204767.jpg

1 hour ago, Coto said:

Very nice job. Check with vinyl shop and try to get a piece that matches the color of your boat and stick it on the covers. 👍

I actually picked black on purpose. I kinda dit it. I could paint it. I ordered a ton of fiberglass stuff to do a bunch of other repairs so I may so a test run on it. Can acrylic be gelcoated? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 9:05 AM, Fsu11 said:

also future note once i get the new trim blade installed i am going to be drilling through the welds and thru bolting so this never happens again.

I've done this when I first purchased my boat.. It came with three welds broken on one plate ... I drilled and tapped both plates... doing it by hand and upside down, while on a trailer in hot summer sun isn't my first choice for doing it again... if you can, drill and tap the replacement on a bench or better yet a drill press if one is available, before you do the install.  Those welds don't seem strong but you will go through a few bits if you drill them out.  I would suggest to drill and tap in between the welds, it has to be much easier...

On 7/6/2023 at 7:47 AM, jim33042 said:

I've done this when I first purchased my boat.. I came with three welds broken on one plate ... I drilled and tapped both plates... doing it by hand and upside down, while on a trailer in hot summer sun isn't my first choice for doing it again... if you can, drill and tap the replacement on a bench or better yet a drill press if one is available, before you do the install.  Those welds don't seem strong but you will go through a few bits if you drill them out.  I would suggest to drill and tap in between the welds, it has to be much easier...

yeah i used a few drill bits just to drill two holes, the metal is definitely strong for sure.

• 2 weeks later...