Bahamas crossing

Drill2Fish

Hi guys and girls. I am a gulf coast Saint Pete guy that wants to take his new 26 HPS Pathfinder from Delray Beach area across to the Bahamas. I plan to go Fourth of July week only if there’s a good weather window. I need recommendations as to a secure boat ramp to leave the truck, and recommendations on where to stay, trolling rods, and reels, trolling lures. I don’t do a lot of trolling in Saint Pete. I am mainly a live bait guy, catching my bait with a cast net 90% of the time. Most of my offshore fishing here is bottom fishing for grouper and snapper.

this is a bucket list thing for me. I would love to catch yellowfin tuna, and wahoo on this trip. Recommendations please!

Rule number 1…..have a buddy boat. 
3 weeks away, do you have a slip reserved at your destination?  That’s a big week for many crossing the stream. 

Kinda two topics. First is the crossing, second is the fishing/regulations, equipment. 

Im sure others more experienced will chime in shortly. Might also want to visit THT, where all the armchair qb’s will convey their expert advice. 😎

Seriously though, lots of very experienced folks on that site and you’ll get quicker responses. 

Enjoy your trip!

I would try to reach out to others making the crossing the same time as you. Always best to travel in pairs. Be prepared to extend your stay if the weather closes in. It could be for several days. Know the custom rules. A safe place for the truck would be Sailfish Marina if possible. Gentle breez and following seas. 😀👍🙏fin.

I planned the same trip on a 37’ MY from Punta Gorda. Crossed the ditch to meet another boat in West Palm. Got their, weather closed down with 30 mph winds and rain, cancelled.

I have done it 4 times.  Always went with another boat.  We launched from Haulover Boat Ramp.  Never had an issue with vandals, but we have hitch locks and cable locked the trailers together.  Went to Bimini cleared customs and on to the Joulters to bone fish.  As mentioned above the weather is everything.  We would go for a week and always left 2-3 days to get back depending on the weather.  We stayed in Bimini for 3 days once to wait for the weather to calm enough to make the passage back.  Cannot help with where to stay as we slept on the boats.  Do not forget about clearing US customs on the way back.  We called the phone number answered the questions and then went to the closest office to clear.  For us it was Ft. Pierce airport as it was on the way home.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fsu11 - I think I may like the Windfinder app better than WindAlert. I downloaded the free version a few days ago. I really like the animated map. Is the pro version a lot better? The pro version of WindAlert is a lot better than the free version. The weather information in my opinion is by far the most critical piece of information as far as planning goes. As far as a Bahamas crossing, if there is a chance of high winds 12 mph or higher, there is no crossing in my boat. At 5-10 mph winds, the trip was 2.5 hours at 35-40 mph. 10-15 mph wind can turn a 2.5 hour trip into a 5 hour *** whooping at 20 mph! We have all experienced this.

Outstanding! We were there the same week, stayed in Hopetown, had a great time! Not much fishing, mostly sightseeing and snorkeling! See you mentioned the Lucayan area, the Marina was very nice and had fair gas prices! Now time to plan for next year 😎

IMG_6302.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes Sir, amazing how nice it was! We stayed in two houses on the south canal and they were up the hill a minimum 20’ to 25’ above the water level and they both had water in them during the hurricane’s storm surge! Was in Grand Cay four weeks before Dorian and from what I hear they are still rebuilding! Picture is from the lighthouse!

IMG_0900.jpeg