24v Ipilot TM average battery consumption during a day of fishing?

searing

I have a 16’ Bayfisher with a 12v trolling motor and plan to upgrade to a 24v. My question for you guys with 16’-18’ rigs who have 24v ipilots what do you think your average amp hour consumption is after a good day of fishing? I’m trying to learn what kind capacity I’ll need whether that be with a single 24v or a pair of 12v lithiums in series. With my 12v trolling motor the 100ah is way more than enough for me. I know if I just get a 2nd 12v lithium I’ll have plenty of capacity but do I really need 100ah at 24 volts and 60lbs of weight. I’ll welcome any input from you guys with the 24v TM’s. 

Thank you 

I also have a 12V TM, but I use two batteries in parallel so it's still 12V.  I can run it for a couple of days without recharging.  That's the big advantage.  This disadvantages?  Extra weight of the 2nd battery, more money (for the 2nd battery), and less power/torque (compared to a 24 V TM).  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I also have a 12V TM, but I use two batteries in parallel so it's still 12V.  I can run it for a couple of days without recharging.  That's the big advantage.  This disadvantages?  Extra weight of the 2nd battery, more money (for the 2nd battery), and less power/torque (compared to a 24 V TM).  

Same here, with my 12v -55lb thrust TM I can run at least a couple of days without charging most times. Problem is I fish a lot in high current places where I’m unable to anchor and the 55lb thrust TM won’t hold me still. I know a lot of guys here are running 24v/80lb thrust trolling motors and I’m hoping to learn how much capacity (amp hours) they’re using in a day of fishing.  I have no experience with a 24v TM and what it will use compared to a 12v TM on the same boat. Of course I want to make sure have plenty of capacity but at the same time I don’t want extra weight if it isn’t really needed. 

• Like 1

Hey Searing -

I have an 18 Master Angler - so she's a big, heavy pig of a flats boat, wider than a redfisher. I often fish a coastal river up here where the tide keeps my TM rolling at 5-10 speed.   My batteries are fully charged again within a few hours of being put back on the charger.  I can't say what % of capacity I use, but I've never run my batteries down in a single trip - not even close.   My batteries are Group 27s and my average fishing day is about 8 hours, 90% of the time I'm running that TM.   

Not sure if that helps, I've never been able to measure the capacity I have used.     

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Hey Searing -

I have an 18 Master Angler - so she's a big, heavy pig of a flats boat, wider than a redfisher. I often fish a coastal river up here where the tide keeps my TM rolling at 5-10 speed.   My batteries are fully charged again within a few hours of being put back on the charger.  I can't say what % of capacity I use, but I've never run my batteries down in a single trip - not even close.   My batteries are Group 27s and my average fishing day is about 8 hours, 90% of the time I'm running that TM.   

Not sure if that helps, I've never been able to measure the capacity I have used.     

Thank you..May I ask what the amp hour rating rating and battery type you’re using?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 7:48 AM, searing said:

I have a 16’ Bayfisher with a 12v trolling motor and plan to upgrade to a 24v. My question for you guys with 16’-18’ rigs who have 24v ipilots what do you think your average amp hour consumption is after a good day of fishing? I’m trying to learn what kind capacity I’ll need whether that be with a single 24v or a pair of 12v lithiums in series. With my 12v trolling motor the 100ah is way more than enough for me. I know if I just get a 2nd 12v lithium I’ll have plenty of capacity but do I really need 100ah at 24 volts and 60lbs of weight. I’ll welcome any input from you guys with the 24v TM’s. 

Thank you 

more amp hours the better...

most 24V at MAX is about 45 AH.....

normally you are not at WOT all the time....on my MA17, I had 24V and with an Ulterra with DEKA 31 AGM...never ran out of juice.

Definitely go AGM - more $$$ but, no smell etc. when re-charging.

dc

I considered changing over to lithium, but dang if they don’t scare me when it comes to causing fires.  I will add the only helpful input I know that will help ANYONE running a trolling motor, regardless of thrust or battery type - get yourself a Kipawa 3 blade high performance prop. Find the one for your application on their website. Absolutely the best add-on for under $50. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 5:49 AM, HewesYourDaddy said:

I considered changing over to lithium, but dang if they don’t scare me when it comes to causing fires.  I will add the only helpful input I know that will help ANYONE running a trolling motor, regardless of thrust or battery type - get yourself a Kipawa 3 blade high performance prop. Find the one for your application on their website. Absolutely the best add-on for under $50. 

Had to give it a try,  just ordered one. TY

13 hours ago, 02 Tex Pathy said:

Did you go with 1-24v or 2-12v batteries?

I still have some time before the trolling motor comes in so I haven’t got anything yet and still undecided. I’m still hoping to get a more confident idea of the amp hour capacity I should have. Plus I want to keep the house and the starting batteries separate. If I go with a single 24v I’ll need a charger too, I already have a 12v charger. I’m trying to stay as light as I can without falling short of need.