Careful Rinsing Your Hands In the Water

MuddyBottomBluz

Been running the 'glades since 1974... My best advice - the moment you lose a fish to a shark, simply leave the area and re-locate somewhere else.  The moment a shark gets on one of your fish - every other shark nearby will know about it and move to your location, raising the chances of more "shark problems".   That bite was a mistake not an attack.  If you were actually in the water when it occurred, once you're bleeding you would be attacked no doubt... Of course, a bite on a hand or foot will ruin your day (and you'll be needing some very skilled surgical care to restore the damaged area).  If you ever hear of someone here in Florida hurt really badly or killed by a shark - the bull shark is my number one suspect in daylight (and bulls worldwide are #3 on the list of mankillers - mainly because they swim where people swim...).  If the incident occurred at night - I'd be suspecting a big tiger shark... 

Washing your hands in the water or creating any kind of disturbance in the water... creates a very similar sound that a thrashing hooked fish would make - and that's why I call this incident (and most shark bites here in paradise...) a mistake on the shark's part since you're really not on the menu... mostly... 

"Be a hero... take a kid fishing... "

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

On a related note of safety  for you and the fish is to put them in the livewell and release at a safer location.  Problem is that it would make game wardens job harder.

I should have taking the snook closer to shore but didn't think about it at the time.  Felt terrible to be honest.

9 hours ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

This was me 2 days ago.  Sharks are terrible and I hate feeding them,

Fortunately we do not have the sharks in the Corpus area where I fish but the dang dolphins will just sit and wait for a throw back.  Seen too many people feeding them on purpose; hoping to get a “Sea World” show out of them I guess…

• Like 1

I had a close call at the old plug at East Cape.  Was fishing the freshwater side.  Caught a black drum, brought it close and wrapped the leader around my hand to swing it up.  Bull shark grabbed it as soon as it left the water!!!  Barely got the leader unwrapped off my hand.  8’ bull swam off with fish, leader, drag etc.  scary for sure.  

Was fishing a spill a couple of weeks ago catching a fair bit of snook, there were about 5-6 alligators present and one of the snook I caught was feverishly chased by a shark before I slung him into boat. Needless to say with sharks and gators present I was not reviving before releasing.