Extending Trailer Tongue

RacerxV6

So I am wondering if I should extended my trailer tongue.  I only have 2 feet between the tip of the bow and the tailgate.  Whenever I feel like I need to make a sharp cut I am scared that the boat is going to make contact with the tailgate or rear quarter panels where the tail lights are.  If I do extend the tongue what do I need to be careful of from a strength and safety concern.  What would you all think!   Thanks

image0.jpeg

Your trailer appears to have an unusually short tongue.  Maybe made to fit in a garage?

Extending the tongue shouldn’t be very hard, it would also keep your truck a little further up the ramp away from the slippery stuff at low tide.  You could also install a folding tongue on the existing tongue and then add a short piece.

• Like 1

My first question  would be  what is the tongue weight. If it is heavy extending the  tongue will lighten it up. We are only talking less than 2 feet so it should not be a monster difference. 

2nd question is how does the boat sit in relation to the axle, how much  boat at the end of the trailer. 

I think Bamaskeet has a great idea. If the existing tongue is galvanized steel, just buy an extension that is 18" to 24" from your local trailer shop, then put them together with a swing/folding hinge. I have the swing hinge on my trailer and it works fine. Also fits in my garage. I didn't like the locking pen that came with the hinge, so I replaced it with a 5/8" rated bolt. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

Your trailer appears to have an unusually short tongue.  Maybe made to fit in a garage?

Extending the tongue shouldn’t be very hard, it would also keep your truck a little further up the ramp away from the slippery stuff at low tide.  You could also install a folding tongue on the existing tongue and then add a short piece.

This is how it came from the manufacturer

4 hours ago, smilemaker said:

My first question  would be  what is the tongue weight. If it is heavy extending the  tongue will lighten it up. We are only talking less than 2 feet so it should not be a monster difference. 

2nd question is how does the boat sit in relation to the axle, how much  boat at the end of the trailer. 

How  do I measure the weight of the tongue or are you wanting to know what the limit is?  From the axle to the aft of the boat is around 48-50 inches...

You can use a bathroom scale but hard to find one that goes 500 lbs or so.

You can cheat  by using  2 scales 

Place a concrete block on each and note the weight on each. Now take a 2x4 and put on top of the blocks Lower the tongue on to the board.

Add the weight and subtrack the weight of the blocks. This will get you close. 

To get specific etrailer sell a scale.

I bought one last year when I  completely rebuilt my undercarriage.

Weight soudl be in the range of 10 to 15 % of the rigs weight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smilemaker said:

You can use a bathroom scale but hard to find one that goes 500 lbs or so.

You can cheat  by using  2 scales 

Place a concrete block on each and note the weight on each. Now take a 2x4 and put on top of the blocks Lower the tongue on to the board.

Add the weight and subtrack the weight of the blocks. This will get you close. 

To get specific etrailer sell a scale.

I bought one last year when I  completely rebuilt my undercarriage.

Weight soudl be in the range of 10 to 15 % of the rigs weight.

You can do it with just one scale. Have a block and the scale at the same height, put a board across them, have the tongue at the height of your hitch in the center of the board between the scale and the block. Just double the reading on the scale.

• Like 1

You can order the square aluminum  tube from any trailer supplier.

Simply slide it in and drill the holes for the bolts and bolt it back together.

If only extending 2 feet I would think aluminum would be fine. 

My aluminum  tongue extends at least 3 feet and has a bend to it but nothing of concern. For its length on a redo I would go with  galvanized. 

• Like 1