Atlas jackplate problem

Admiral2

Atlas is known for relay problems.  Try disconnecting the blue and green wires in your boat coming from the jack plate actuator and touch them directly to the battery positive & negative.  The JP should move (up or down).  Then reverse the wires and touch the positive & negative on the battery again.  The JP should move in the other direction.  If the JP will go up and down by connecting directly to the battery, the problem is most likely a bad relay.  Here's a thread that covers this subject in depth:

Geeviam is correct, there are two relays that control the up and down motion of your jackplate.   It’s not unusual for one of them to fail.  I suggest you unplug the green (down) and blue (up) wire and reverse them, this should allow the jackplate to go in the opposite direction.

TH Marine normally wants about $200 for the relay.  If you shop around you can find them for around $150.  It’s not a tough job to replace the relay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Sounds like a good item to keep in the boat bag..... anyone got a link to the part?

This is what I carry for emergency's.  If one relay goes bad, and that is what always happens, will go up and not down or visa versa. I plug this in line and manually reverse the polarity on the one good relay to go up or down. Has already saved the day for me once.

JackPlateSwitch 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2023 at 2:45 PM, jh141 said:

This is what I carry for emergency's.  If one relay goes bad, and that is what always happens, will go up and not down or visa versa. I plug this in line and manually reverse the polarity on the one good relay to go up or down. Has already saved the day for me once.

JackPlateSwitch 1.jpg

can you post the specifics....great idea...I normally don't move the JP much...I leave it on 3 90% of the time and don't move it...

dc

The blue and green wires from the jack plate motor, going to the relay harness have a Deutsch connector. I unplug that connector and put this switch in line. 

The DPDT switch wired like this will reverse the polarity, thus using the one good relay in the jack plate harness to power the motor. 

So if down works and up does not, use the switch to reverse the polarity and down becomes up.  

Jack Plate Switch.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DavidG said:

I for one agree with all the answers given. My “ harness” went out with only 25 hours on the motor.  New harness with relays 230.00 plus labor. You’d think they would have plug in relays instead of making all replace the whole harness!

You need to do a little shopping.  You can find those relays for around $150.