Upgrading trolling motor

Whiskeytrain

Looking to upgrade my current 24v 80lbs minn Kota riptide with tiller handle for my 18 ft hewes.  Nothing wrong with it, but after dock fishing the other night, I really realized how helpful an Ipilot would be with spot lock. What are y’all’s opinion on which trolling motor to get?

Currently looking at the the minn Kota terrova 24v 80lbs I pilot. My current motor is 54 inch shaft but occasionally will begin to cavitate when there’s small chop or swells. Wondering if anyone has a 60 inch shaft motor on their flats boat or if it’s too long.

Any other thoughts and advice regarding trolling motors would be appreciated 

Just my .02 and mostly opinion...but...52-54" will be fine with any of the GPS motors. Unlike the tiller the GPS remote controlled units can drop almost to the deck for added depth. I fish a Master Angler but similar deck to water height I would think.  I run 52-54 inches depending on brand. I have run the MK, Rhodan and Motor Guides all GPS for last 15 years or so. Could never go tiller again. I break them all. Some my fault some theirs. All of their customer service stinks and MK especially likes to split hairs on warranty dates as opposed to when it was made vs when you bought it. Rhodan not much better and their gear box breaks regularly. MK on bow now but going to the Power Pole Move troll motor next month when it arrives for the simple reason of customer service when it fails or I drive it into an oyster bar. I average 4-500 hours a year on one and go through a prop every 2 months. I fish in NE Fl with 4-5 feet of tide change every 6 hours so the oyster bars eat em up. Most folks don't run em hard like I do so any of them would handle a once a month trip with little to no issues. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, geeviam said:

I'm glad Power Pole is introducing the Move, with its ultra quiet brushless motor.  If anything, it will push the competitors to up their game and better their products and customer service.

I think it already has. :)  Maybe not customer service but MK is releasing new brushless TM's

• Like 2

On 7/4/2023 at 10:02 PM, Whiskeytrain said:

Is there a need for a support bar when trailering or riding in chop? Seems like the gps trolling motors bounce a lot more.

Bouncing 😲 On a MBG skiff....you can't even use the bounce word in the same sentence as "Maverick"...or Hewes 😆...on a serious note I have never seen the need for a support. 

On 7/4/2023 at 10:02 PM, Whiskeytrain said:

Is there a need for a support bar when trailering or riding in chop? Seems like the gps trolling motors bounce a lot more.

My Rhodan came with one and I installed a modified version of it.  It could be removed and all there would be on the deck is the threaded aluminum plate.  I liked it for the rough country roads I tow on.  The trolling motor is more than 50 LBS and I didn't want the deck and mounting hardware being stressed that much when bouncing on the trailer or in choppy waters.

0806201941b.jpg

0806201859u.jpg

0806201851aj.jpg

On 7/4/2023 at 12:30 PM, George Seither said:

I heard they were coming out with the brushless motor. Kind of a bummer though since it looks like they still fall short of the Power-pole in regards to noise. Their motor might be more quiet, efficient, and powerful than before but their steering motor hasn't changed and still a big noise maker. I'm only assuming this since I would think it would be mentioned for sure if the steering motor was also upgraded too.

On 7/4/2023 at 11:49 AM, George Seither said:

Sensor mounted on dash but others have mounted inside console, sons will go on dash when it arrives 

Mine was on the dash also until recently. I moved it to the back starboard side gunnel next to the splash well. When mine was on the top of the console/dash I would get some pretty bad interference with aluminum cans that were placed in the cup holders there. My motor would lose spot-lock and go haywire. Moving the sensor was the solution.

8 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Mine was on the dash also until recently. I moved it to the back starboard side gunnel next to the splash well. When mine was on the top of the console/dash I would get some pretty bad interference with aluminum cans that were placed in the cup holders there. My motor would lose spot-lock and go haywire. Moving the sensor was the solution.

Glad you figured it out. Mine is currently on top of the console too and it’s right next to my Lowrance finder. I’m wondering if there isn’t a little interference affecting both units. I hate that the sensor puck is even needed. Isn’t MK the only one that utilizes a separate sensor puck?