Placement and best transducer for 2500

brucesr

I just received my new 2500.  The electronics dealer that I bought from (and also did the installation) recommended Garmin 8616xsv along with a GT-15 in hull and GT-56 transom mount.  My issue is with the GT-15.  It does not keep bottom when moving and the picture is terrible to none at all. Even in show speed situations it shows a lot of noise lines. In my previous 2400 TRS I had a Lowrance with a B-60 through hull and the transom mount and it always worked fine but that was on a 2014 and a lot supposedly has improved since then.  My question is what is a good replacement and where is the best place to have it mounted?  I was not aware the step hull would cause problems and once a hole is put it... Thanks

Smilemaker is correct (forward of the first step). But, there is another thing to consider and that is the angle of the hull where the thru-hull transducer is mounted.  For instance, the degree of the hull on my 23 HPS was 12 degrees where I wanted to mount the transducer, so you have to buy a transducer with a 12 degree offset.  The offset keeps the transducer pointed straight down. If you mount a transducer without an offset, then your transducer will be sending a signal off to the side and not straight down. Hope this makes since!!!

I only have the B-60 and nothing on the transom. It will lose some signal in rough water, but most of the time will read up to 50 mph. 

• 1 month later...