4 questions

Fish5

I know a couple of these have been asked. After a week left in the water and many hours at home scrubbing hard. Had to use the starbright hull cleaner to get stains off the hull.
What is a good store bought wax for the hull, even if I have to apply twice, and are any of the spray on waxes any good for the decks?

How do you get wax between fender and hull? I have a tractor, can I pick it up by the hooks on back, will that put to much stress at bow roller?

Noticed some screws out and one backing out. Do you put the same size in, or the next size, with or without some sort of paste? 
Put the RY tech marine transducer mount on, worked great, read depth at 40 mph. It has a lot of spray, I know I need some type of spray shield. Is it mounted to low?

Thank you guys for any input!

8FFB7A1F-A6B6-4CB0-B5D5-5CED49C264E6.jpeg

D13867D6-5A09-468E-A2DB-50DB9EF7C5C8.jpeg

213D6646-CBE7-4C2C-A855-D083AC1AB9F5.jpeg

I use Shurhold Buff Magic to remove stains and Pro Polish to wax and seal. Any of the 3m products are very good also. The spray on products are tough on aluminum but much less labor.

Believe it or not I remove the trailer fenders. Four 1/4 bolts, pretty easy. I do not have a tractor.

Not sure on your boat if it is do able, but on mine I replaced the screws with machine screws and lock nuts. Used a shallow socket and a long extension on the inside.   

If not try the same size screws and 3M 4200. If they still come out bigger screws (I hate this option) and 4200. 

From looking at the pic I think you could raise the transducer about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. If you lose depth then back down a little. 

I love my Rytek bracket. 

Spray Shield 1.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jh141 said:

I use Shurhold Buff Magic to remove stains and Pro Polish to wax and seal. Any of the 3m products are very good also. The spray on products are tough on aluminum but much less labor.

Believe it or not I remove the trailer fenders. Four 1/4 bolts, pretty easy. I do not have a tractor.

Not sure on your boat if it is do able, but on mine I replaced the screws with machine screws and lock nuts. Used a shallow socket and a long extension on the inside.   

If not try the same size screws and 3M 4200. If they still come out bigger screws (I hate this option) and 4200. 

From looking at the pic I think you could raise the transducer about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. If you lose depth then back down a little. 

I love my Rytek bracket. 

I had the same reaction to your 'ducer placement - looks lower than it needs to be.   If your screw holes won't let you raise it, you might try installing a starboard (or home depot PVC trim) piece so you can move the ducer around without drilling anymore holes in the boat.   

One other thought on the screw holes - you might consider using MarineTex to fill the holes in completely, then re-drill.    I have never done that, but suspect others may have a reaction to the concept.  It's inexpensive and should avoid constantly going bigger on your hole size.   Using 4200 on ALL screws will keep them from reaming out the hole over time, so might be worth checking any others and resealing them.

Lastly, Not sure the age of your hull, but if your gelcoat is oxidizing, then it will be nearly impossible to keep the stains off of, even when waxed.   You may do well to have the boat detailed and get that gelcoat back to new so that it's less porous.   When I did that to my 2000 MA, the staining issue almost disappeared (and I did the buffing myself - a professional probably would have done a better job).   

I have not found any wax or other type of coating that will stay on below the waterline.  I have tried many different products and the best lasted one trip.  As Hobo said many years ago, it is a waste of time to wax below the waterline.  I keep the tannin stain off with Barkeeper's friend spray foam.

As mentioned replacing with lock nuts is a good idea.  The only caution is not to tighten them more than just snug.  With the counter sunk holes if they are over tight it will crack the starboard, if not right away, over time it will.  I now counterbore to avoid that cracking.  

nobody mentioned woody wax for your nonskid/deck. It is by far the best and easiest wax to apply to nonskid/deck and it works fantastic once you start seeing stains or its taking longer to clean the nonskid its time to reapply. Simply wet the deck, use woody wax sparingly one a soft bristle brush, brush over the deck reapplying every so often, then you let it dry and then rinse off with a sprayer and towel dry works fantastic!

14 minutes ago, nhinshoreangler said:

No more waxing for me. I've been using 303 Touchless Sealant.

I did all the gelcoat in the fall and it's still beading water.

I'm experimenting with it now on my non-skid

Best of luck.

Just saw this stuff on the YouTube 

1 hour ago, nhinshoreangler said:

No more waxing for me. I've been using 303 Touchless Sealant.

I did all the gelcoat in the fall and it's still beading water.

I'm experimenting with it now on my non-skid

Best of luck.

I used Woody's Wax for years, but switched to Awlcare and Awlwash (Awlgrip products) several years ago.  Expensive but very good!