What's the right boat? 2200?

chrsRedfish

I live in Charleston, SC and have fished several types of boats from inshore backwater to 100 miles off the coast. I currently have a beavertail technical poling skiff which is a great shallow water boat but it is limiting when trying to leave that back water. I ran a 24 Islamorada for a few years and that boat was great, I have taken it 60 miles offshore and it handled great. I know the the 2200 is a lighter/smaller boat with less dead rise so it will not be that capable but I am curious to know just how capable these boats are. I am looking for a boat that can still holds it own in the shallow water but can still get out for some near shore fishing (5-25 miles). For my kind of fishing if the boat cannot get out to fish nearshore I would rather have a technical poling skiff that drafts 6", I want to make sure I don't just end up with a less capable inshore boat if I sell my beavertail to move to a 2200. I am a licensed captain that runs several larger boats so I am not looking to get out to blue water, just out nearshore when we are having a "nicer" day. 

I am primarily looking at early 2000s TE boats with my budget. Additionally, the bay boats I have run have all rode better at higher speeds where they can go across any kind of bay chop, a lot of these boats have 150s, is that enough power to get the most out of the boat?

I just got my Credentials for my Capt License.....I'm running a Marine and Drone Photo Charter Business here in SoFlo (getting everything up and running).....to date, for MBG, I I have owned .....

18 Redfisher 2003

22 Pathy (2005) old skool

17 Pathy Tunnel 1998

17 Master Angler 1995

23 HPS 2019

By Far....my 23 HPS is now my favorite and last boat...

It floats the same as 17 MA or 22 Pathy

I have mine rigged full tilt...

10' Powerpoles

250 Show

Ameratrail 

Atlas JP

Ulterra 72" 36V

I have a front Casting Platform

Multiple Rodholders

Fiberglass T Top (must have for me)

Garmin 12 thru hull and Lowrance HDS LIVE FOR MY FMT

JL STERERO SYSTEM....

Send me a PM with your number and happy to chat....

I have run the HPS 35 MILES OFF SHORE...

75-80 MILES 10K ISLANDS RUNS 

DC

• Like 1

I have an 04 2200TE  with 04 200hpdi  and fish Charleston a fair amount. 

Easy fishing up the wando and cooper as well as the harbor. No troubles crossing the harbor to dodge thunderstorms. 

Waterway up to bulls bay to fish shallow is long but easy ride. Better just to trailer. 

As far as near shore leaving  out of Folly for 4KI to look for spades or cobia not a problem.

Going near shore through the jetties can be a long ride but is not a problem.  No matter where you fish offshore you just have to use common sense. 

I would put as much hp as the pocketbook allows. 

My long term plan is to go to a 250sho or similar merc or suzuki if the hpdi ever dies. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I just got my Credentials for my Capt License.....I'm running a Marine and Drone Photo Charter Business here in SoFlo (getting everything up and running).....to date, for MBG, I I have owned .....

18 Redfisher 2003

22 Pathy (2005) old skool

17 Pathy Tunnel 1998

17 Master Angler 1995

23 HPS 2019

By Far....my 23 HPS is now my favorite and last boat...

It floats the same as 17 MA or 22 Pathy

I have mine rigged full tilt...

10' Powerpoles

250 Show

Ameratrail 

Atlas JP

Ulterra 72" 36V

I have a front Casting Platform

Multiple Rodholders

Fiberglass T Top (must have for me)

Garmin 12 thru hull and Lowrance HDS LIVE FOR MY FMT

JL STERERO SYSTEM....

Send me a PM with your number and happy to chat....

I have run the HPS 35 MILES OFF SHORE...

75-80 MILES 10K ISLANDS RUNS 

DC

Thanks for the reply, if budget allowed I would highly consider the 23 HPS but I am not looking to spend that much.

Ran an 03 2200v for 12 years with a vmax hpdi 150 loader including a stand thru t top tower. Maxed at 43.2 mph. Could handle all waters including offshore. Very dry and stable platform. 23’ also a great boat. From what I have been told the new boats do not have the same quality build as the older ones. Only repeating what was told and read. The 200 hp will get you in the low- mid 50’s, brother had one with tower, same boat. Best of luck. 👍️fin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fin-addict said:

From what I have been told the new boats do not have the same quality build as the older ones.

Yes, there are some who call them PRE-MALIBU and Post-Malibu boats....

I did speak with Charley Johnson at the Feb boat show and I asked him about this.....they acknowledge the challenges but are on top of it.....during the Pandemic, it was nearly impossible to hire labor, obtain stainless and or aluminum for t tops etc.....

I think they have turned the corner and hopefully they are back to where they used to be......

My HPS is a 2019....no issues so far...

DC

• Like 1