Desirable Redfisher years?

livinloud11

Im looking into buying a redfisher in the coming months, my heart is really set on an 18' redfisher. My question is, does anyone prefer the bench seat over the split bench seat or the latest model with only the cushion and backrest? I know the split bench seat was only made for a few years and that model doesn't pop up for sale all that often. Looking for some real world input and any pros or cons. 

Having spent a good amount of time on a 18 RF with a F150 and a flip up bench seat I was not a fan of it at all. The cockpit of the RF is shallow to begin with to keep it self bailing, when you flip the backrest up you sit another 4" lower which almost puts you in a squatted position/knees in chest and not very comfortable. On top of that being 4" lower makes it difficult to see over the bow/trolling motor, I'm 5'11" for reference and felt like a kid driving dads truck trying to see over the dash board. Honestly 90%+ percent of the time we ran it with the seat down for this reason.

Also was not crazy about the jump seat built into the front of the console, it is kind of wasted space and would be better suited as a spot for a cooler. I have seen trolling motor batteries housed in there but think you are better off putting the batteries in the front hatch to get that weight forward to balance the boat out. Not sure what year but I'm pretty sure Hewes moved the fuel tank forward and fixed some of my perceived weight distribution issue. 

Ride wise I would put a Maverick 18 HPXV up against the Refisher pretty much every day of the week however the Redfisher is significantly more stable. But then again I own a 18 Maverick and am a little partial but have spent a significant amount of time on each and also owned a 18 Lappy Redfisher. Still miss that boat.

1 hour ago, Tender said:

Having spent a good amount of time on a 18 RF with a F150 and a flip up bench seat I was not a fan of it at all. The cockpit of the RF is shallow to begin with to keep it self bailing, when you flip the backrest up you sit another 4" lower which almost puts you in a squatted position/knees in chest and not very comfortable. On top of that being 4" lower makes it difficult to see over the bow/trolling motor, I'm 5'11" for reference and felt like a kid driving dads truck trying to see over the dash board. Honestly 90%+ percent of the time we ran it with the seat down for this reason.

Also was not crazy about the jump seat built into the front of the console, it is kind of wasted space and would be better suited as a spot for a cooler. I have seen trolling motor batteries housed in there but think you are better off putting the batteries in the front hatch to get that weight forward to balance the boat out. Not sure what year but I'm pretty sure Hewes moved the fuel tank forward and fixed some of my perceived weight distribution issue. 

Ride wise I would put a Maverick 18 HPXV up against the Refisher pretty much every day of the week however the Redfisher is significantly more stable. But then again I own a 18 Maverick and am a little partial but have spent a significant amount of time on each and also owned a 18 Lappy Redfisher. Still miss that boat.

Redfisher 18 will hands down out preform a mav 18 hpxv in rough waters, if its calm the mav will out run it but the redfisher preforms way better in rougher waters.

As for the OP's post I personally prefer the earlier year redfishers 2000-2008 lots of storage options, the front two hatches are insulated and work well for coolers or dry storage, the bench seat never gets used except for storage add a nice bench cushion and backrest and you are set. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fsu11 said:

Redfisher 18 will hands down out preform a mav 18 hpxv in rough waters, if its calm the mav will out run it but the redfisher preforms way better in rougher waters.

As for the OP's post I personally prefer the earlier year redfishers 2000-2008 lots of storage options, the front two hatches are insulated and work well for coolers or dry storage, the bench seat never gets used except for storage add a nice bench cushion and backrest and you are set. 

This is the era I am referring to that I'm not the fan of. Yes the forward storage is nice, stability is good, ride is OK but the weight distribution was poor because of the location of the fuel tank IMO and this is what gains the forward storage. This can mostly be fixed by 2 group 27's (140#) in the forward hatch. The flip up seat was no good as discussed previously and the storage under the flip up seat I found to be too shallow to be of very useful. Most every one I recall seeing had the forward seat in front of the console.

Not sure when they moved the fuel tank forward again and fixed the weight distribution. When they eliminated the flip up seat it made a deeper and more useful storage area under the seat and they also did away with the forward seat in favor of a cooler seat. All positive changes in my book.

I have very limited time on the reconfigured/newer boat but have a lot of time on a 2005 with a F150. Everyone has their preferences though which is why there are so many offerings on boats.

I'd still put the Maverick up against it. I'll also always have a soft spot for Lappy's.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an 2004 RF18 with a 115 Yamaha and it scoots beautifully across the water.  I do have my trolling motor batteries under the front seat and must agree that seat would be better served as something/anything else.  Plenty and I mean plenty of cargo space up front and it levels out quickly.  It's my last boat and I am super happy owning it!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/12/2023 at 8:17 AM, livinloud11 said:

I ended up with a 2015 Hewes RF16 and I love it :)

Congratulations!  I have a 2000 model 16’ with a 2 stroke which is probably best for it and love it!  From what I understand the newer models like yours are sweet and even nicer with the 4 stroke. Enjoy!!

2 hours ago, searing said:

Congratulations!  I have a 2000 model 16’ with a 2 stroke which is probably best for it and love it!  From what I understand the newer models like yours are sweet and even nicer with the 4 stroke. Enjoy!!

I came from an old evinrude 2 stroke on my last boat and I can't believe I waited this long to upgrade to a 4 stroke. It is a dream. They are sweet boats for sure!!

• Like 1