Ridiculous Rubrail HPXV

Joe Crato

2021 HPXV 18 horrible rubrail design! Spent a week in the Keys and came home with about 10 of these dents in my rubrail from using bumpers at the dock. Yes, soft bumpers in a protected area where the boat barely moves. Posted on the HMP Facebook page and was shocked to see how many people were also not pleased with the design. I mean these skiffs are expensive and should have a better designed rubrail. From the horrible porpoising issues and over all fit and finish flaws I’d say Maverick has lost its quality trophy! 

IMG_6519.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:15 AM, Moderator said:

Looks like the hollow rubrail inserts to me.. Check with your dealer.. They may not have the solid inserts available.. and had to use those.  NG !
MM

I’m going to call Integrity Marine tomorrow morning, they are the vendor for Maverick’s rubrail. 

22 hours ago, Moderator said:

They may give you info.

You need results.  Dealer is the action place.

I spoke with Integrity Marine this morning and ordered 55’ of new insert and it was shipped out this afternoon. They said not many manufacturers are using that rubrail anymore. They are also sending me samples of a few different rubrails based on what I’m looking for as a complete change. I plan on having my nonskid redone from white to whisper grey to match the rest of the hull and knock down the glare. I’ll have the Skiff Shop do everything in one visit. Thank you for your input. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moderator said:

Thank you, Joe !!

Thank you for prettying this place up !!

Great snook !!

You fishing the Park from the East side ?

Marc

Me not so much🤣 but my wife sure can pretty up any place. 
I live in Naples so I fish the park south of Chokoloskee from home. We were in Islamorada last week for 9 days and fished Flamingo from there. The fishing was on fire the whole time, which made it hard to leave! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Joe, You might want to reconsider the whisper grey top deck if you fish the keys. It gets hot, I know from past experience and bare feet. Keep me in the loop on the rub rail.

I saw a 2023 HPXV 18 at Ft. Myers Marine a few months back and the hull was haze grey and the top deck was whisper grey. My exact set up was next to it (whisper grey hull / white top deck) and the sun was blazing. The difference in the glare was extremely noticeable, that’s where I got the idea to have my top deck redone. I don’t plan on doing anything until winter so I’ll definitely research it out.
I’m sure the Skiff Shop will have some input as well. The whisper grey didn’t feel any different in temperature than the white when they were side by side and I was comparing the glare. Was the grey you had whisper grey from Maverick? 

We fish mostly Pine Island, Chokoloskee, and Flamingo…..

I ordered the middle rubrail replacement from Integrity Marine and as I posted above. They are also sending me some samples of other rubrails that might be a good replacement for what’s on there now. They were great to talk to and said they know that rubrail is soft and caves in easily. They also said not many manufacturers are using that particular rubrail anymore. I’ll email you what the samples look like when I get them. The guy said he has a ton of different styles to choose from if I don’t like any of the samples. 

You can also use 3 strand rope for an easy old school look. I replaced the rope on my master angler a couple years ago. Easy install with a flat head and rubber hammer. I used white but you can get whatever color you’d like. Much much cheaper than the rubber inserts. Also I’ve heard the skiff shop has quite the wait time so you may want to contact them sooner than later if you’re looking to get the deck done this winter. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:08 AM, Carolinadrifter said:

You can also use 3 strand rope for an easy old school look. I replaced the rope on my master angler a couple years ago. Easy install with a flat head and rubber hammer. I used white but you can get whatever color you’d like. Much much cheaper than the rubber inserts. Also I’ve heard the skiff shop has quite the wait time so you may want to contact them sooner than later if you’re looking to get the deck done this winter. 

I had that rope insert on my Action Craft back in the day and it held up really well. I received my new insert from Integrity Marine a few days ago and I was impressed with two of the samples they sent, I’ll probably go with one of those. I heard the same so I’ll be scheduling soon, thanks. 

I’m gonna bet that rubrail was all they could get during that mysterious supply chain debacle of ‘21. 
And, I sent a note to my contact at the Factory. He hooked me up to the QC and Warranty bosses at the factory. 
This is great because there was a full remake of the management and warranty process in the past year. 
I am figuring it out.. 

It seems all warranty and repair questions have been pushed back to the dealers. This is good and bad to me.  I am used to connecting with Skip to solve stray problems and get solid decisions with follow through.  
I will keep you informed as I deal with the folks..

MM

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2023 at 9:24 AM, Moderator said:

It seems all warranty and repair questions have been pushed back to the dealers.

THERE IS NO CUSTOMER CONTACT WITH MBG - ANYMORE....IT'S GONE !!!  

THEY HAVE GONE THE WAY OF General Motors ALMOST !!!

I have been working with my local Pathfinder Dealer here in FLL on some repairs and they told me it's strictly dealer only contact to MBG - everything - must be addressed with the dealers....

Not saying it's right or wrong...but, MBG is no longer the family operated company where you can pick up the phone and call Skip...as an owner/buyer we just need to be aware of it.....

Now, that said, Maximum Marine has been great to work with here in FLL....Fred the service manager is TOP notch !!!

Just be aware of that to any new buyer or someone with warranty issues you need to find someone who is easy to work with for your questions / repairs /warranty work.

DC

• Like 2

I can confirm a lot of above and Skip and Ray took good care of forum members in the past. Even Scott got involved a couple of times on some of my stuff.  That being said I still got the kind of service I expected last year on our new to us Maverick. Yes, I had to go through the dealer and that is now the key and yes they required all of the paperwork for the warranty transfer but the factory still fixed it. Not as easy as in the past but they did come to the party. 

• Like 2