When was Redfisher redesigned for 4 stroke

dillamonga

So I'm looking to buy a used boat. It's going to take a little bit before I decide what to go with, but the Redfisher is at the top of my list. One major question I have is, what year was the redfisher redesigned to be purpose built for the heavier 4 strokes. I know porpoising can be an issue with some of the older ones, and I'd rather avoid buying one where I'm not satisfied with the ride.

I know that they redesigned the Refisher 16 in 2020, but I'm more referring to them moving the gas tank to the front and started selling them with the 4 stroke instead of the 2 strokes. 

13 hours ago, geeviam said:

I think the fuel tank was moved into the bow compartment and the deck cap layout was changed (removing the flip-up bench seat-back) in model year 2013.

Thanks Geeviam. I keep flip flopping on whether I want to buy a Maverick Hpx v or a redfisher. I know it will be used though, so I want to figure out how to narrow down my search. I think I'm going to hire one fishing guide each with either of the boats so I can see how they each perform. 

• Like 1

If you need a more nimble technical poling skiff for quiet stalking, go with the HPX.  If you'll be doing less poling and more fishing with a trolling motor, and you'd like more stability and room to move around the boat, get a Redfisher.  It was amazing how stable my Redfisher 16 was when walking the gunwales.

You're doing the right thing - hiring a guide to take you fishing on both models.  Then you'll know or sure before you put a deposit down on one.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 8:21 PM, geeviam said:

If you need a more nimble technical poling skiff for quiet stalking, go with the HPX.  If you'll be doing less poling and more fishing with a trolling motor, and you'd like more stability and room to move around the boat, get a Redfisher.  It was amazing how stable my Redfisher 16 was when walking the gunwales.

You're doing the right thing - hiring a guide to take you fishing on both models.  Then you'll know or sure before you put a deposit down on one.

I agree with Geeviam, the redfisher is going to be more stable and ride better in rough water, but its not poleable in my opinion whereas the hpx is much more poleable.

In reference to your original question as far back as 2000 redfishers were able to come standard with four strokes. I have an 01 redfisher 18 that came with an 01 yamaha f115 and it preformed fantastic until it bit the dust last year and i repowered with a suzuki four stroke.

• 5 months later...

I have a 2000 bayfisher 18' and it has the original 2000 F115.  I changed out original 3 blade Yamaha turbo prop(19p) for a powertech 3 blade 17p... much happier with the PT prop. Boat has hardly any issue of porpoising, but any boat can have some under the right conditions.  Mine has the flip up seat, used almost 100% of the time with a throw cushion added for height adjustment.

I spent a good amount of time in the eastern side of the ENP fishing on an 04 18 RF with a 2 stroke 150. 
My buddy that owned the boat always ran fast, and this boat was propped for speed (Pro 21p)  It would porpoise if you didn’t trim it right.

I found this to be useful, and not a total detriment: I could trim the bow up and get a couple more MPH than he did. I could drop the port side and stop throwing spray on us in a windy cross chop. I could drop the bow and raise the engine up when running the Dragover at lowww tide. All it takes is a couple bumps on the tabs when changing speed. The bow lift on the jump was bad though.. 

Trim is an easy thing to learn and do, and you have more control of the boat when you are driving it. 

There are superior props now, for those who like to set it & forget it, and have a much shallower hole shot.
MM