SeaStar hydraulic steering

wrhatt

I have a 2000 2200V Pathfinder with a SeaStar Hydraulic Steering and a Yamaha 150 2-stroke. I'm assumimg the steering system is also from 2000. I had the seals replaced on both ends last year which stopped it from leaking. The problem I'm having is I have to give it left hand steering to go straight. It's subtle, takes about 1 minute for a full revolution (left) to keep going straight. I have the anode on the outboard full deflected to push the nose of the boat to the right but that not helping much. The repair shop says with the age of the system it is time to replace it. Before I spend that money I wanted to aske here. Does the hydraulic steering system wear out? Thank you.

Yes.  There are two parts to the system: the pump, under the steering wheel, and the actuator attached to the motor.

The pump is complex and has lots of seals.  As the system ages, salt builds up and wears out the seals. Others get stiff and don’t hold back the pressure. 
You can rebuild the helm pump and get by.. But eventually it will need replacing. 
MM

• Thanks 1

Would recommend calling https://www.boatsteer.com/ and talking through the issue with them.  I called and they walked me through some tests to do to diagnose the issue. Mine ended up being the seal inside the cylinder attached to the motor. They sent me a rebuilt one that looked brand new then I shipped mine back for the core charge.  Good company. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2023 at 12:43 AM, wrhatt said:

I have a 2000 2200V Pathfinder with a SeaStar Hydraulic Steering and a Yamaha 150 2-stroke.

You have a 23 y/o steering system...REPLACE IT or at least rebuild.

The damage that could result from a steering failure  could be catastrophic......I had a problem with my 2005 Pathfinder steering in a curve in Chokoloskee one time (went mushy all of sudden) and immediately shut it down...and came home on 50% power to keep control.   It's a two person job - (you can do it alone)...but, easier with 2....and look into the UFLEX system for a new complete package...sold by West Marine....you can get the full warranty....

with Boatsteer you can get the rebuilt pieces, and as mentioned, it's then just remove, replace, and bleed the lines...if you are going through all the helm, I'd consider the stern as well...nice thing about boatsteer solution, you don't need to change any hoses....saves a lot of bad words being said as you pull lines :)

DC

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 10:20 AM, brew1891 said:

Would recommend calling https://www.boatsteer.com/ and talking through the issue with them.  I called and they walked me through some tests to do to diagnose the issue. Mine ended up being the seal inside the cylinder attached to the motor. They sent me a rebuilt one that looked brand new then I shipped mine back for the core charge.  Good company. 

yes, good people......lots of positives on the net.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrhatt said:

A little help please. When I replaced the helm hydraulic pump, I didn't mark the hoses when taking them off. Now I'm not sure which hose goes to which fitting. Anyone know which is which? Boat Steer is closed till Monday. 

oooops......yep, been there....normally you mark them....did you take a pic from under the console?

Worst case scenario, you get attach them, and get lucky....if not, you swap it out and loose some fluid...not a big deal.....I made the mistake on my MA17 when I installed the UFLEX...took it out for a ride and nearly ran it into the rocks at the dock....I didn't pay attention when I installed it...e.g. right was left and left was right.....just attach it, add some fluid and then check it...you'll need to bleed it out completely to get rid of the bubbles.....get a baggie and just quickly change it out.....

SOMETIMES THEY MARK THEM WITH RED OR BLUE...YOU CAN ALSO JUST PULL ON ONE LINE TO SEE WHERE IT'S ATTACHED...NOT EASY !!!  BUT, AN IDEA.

GET LOTS OF TOWELS AND AND SOME EXTRA FLUID...

HAVE FUN :)

DC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George Seither said:

Like Wana said 50/50 shot, swap if needed rebleed 

thinking....yep, 50/50 (LOL).....actually, it will move a bit without doing the entire bleeding process of bubble removal....so, you'll know as soon as the lines are attached....

@OP- "wrhatt" did you review how to set up the quarter bottle above the fill hole and then do the left and right back and forth?  It's a real mess....I used the process where I ran the lines from the stern into the same bottle in a closed loop....but, we used to call it the HOBO method, where he posted how to do it...basically you just take your 1 qt Seastar bottle, poke a hole in the bottle then hold/tape it to the console and keep turning the new helm left and right until there are no longer any bubbles in the line....this can take 5-10 minutes of doing this....do it, let it rest, do it again, rest, keep going until you go left and right 4-5 times with NO bubbles in the clear line....have fun :)

DC

• Like 1