gratefulred

Greetings MBG folks!  I have a 2002 1806V PF, all white with grey sea deck if you see me around the Jax area.  Just coming back to fishing somewhat regularly after a hiatus.  Turning my attention to what is happening off the beach rather than inshore during these summer months.  Can anyone share any tips for Tarpon?  I am finding them but haven't stuck one yet.  

Welcome, Grateful ! 
The 1806’s are sweets skiffs, and yours has a touch of gray !

Nice !!

I’m down south, but the Tarpons are the same all over. You just have to poke around :) and match the hatch.  See what they’re eating and offer it. 
They are lazy eaters when they are laid up. Mullet heads on the bottom work great in most areas. 
The good tip though is using big circle hooks pinned in a strong corner of the bait.  Leave lots of hook exposed and leave the stiff rod in the rod holder with fighting drag. They will usually hook themselves in the top lip and are easier to cut off or release in good shape.  Revive them carefully so they leave strong.. Be careful of the sharks. Don’t know what your situation is up there, but sharks are bad in the south regions.. 

Post pics !!! 
Marc 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 9:14 PM, Moderator said:

Welcome, Grateful ! 
The 1806’s are sweets skiffs, and yours has a touch of gray !

Nice !!

I’m down south, but the Tarpons are the same all over. You just have to poke around :) and match the hatch.  See what they’re eating and offer it. 
They are lazy eaters when they are laid up. Mullet heads on the bottom work great in most areas. 
The good tip though is using big circle hooks pinned in a strong corner of the bait.  Leave lots of hook exposed and leave the stiff rod in the rod holder with fighting drag. They will usually hook themselves in the top lip and are easier to cut off or release in good shape.  Revive them carefully so they leave strong.. Be careful of the sharks. Don’t know what your situation is up there, but sharks are bad in the south regions.. 

Post pics !!! 
Marc 

Thanks for the advise Marc! Will do.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2023 at 10:13 AM, gratefulred said:

Greetings MBG folks!  I have a 2002 1806V PF, all white with grey sea deck if you see me around the Jax area.  Just coming back to fishing somewhat regularly after a hiatus.  Turning my attention to what is happening off the beach rather than inshore during these summer months.  Can anyone share any tips for Tarpon?  I am finding them but haven't stuck one yet.  

I’m on Coastal South Georgia area and we have large pods of Tarpon chasing pogies on beachfront…. You can usually anchor up with a quick release ball and drift two lines out back , one dead pogie and one live….dead on bottom , live free lining….chum a dozen or so cut up in four pieces and set drag so fish can run but still get hooked and sit back and wait for the action. Sometimes I put out a third line 75 yards out the back on large spinner with a balloon ( so I can keep track ) with live pogie with 7/0 hook in dorsal and let it swim. The current will keep it behind the boat and watch the balloon .  Unfortunately, we have a lot of sharks here in summer so you’ll stay busy on the dead bait hook changing out and releasing sharks. But, all in all….we usually can catch one or two Tarpon in a 3 hour window of the right tide.( not every trip ) JJ

• Thanks 1