Shimano Stradic 3000 CI4 smoked.

fishingfool485

So I was wondering if maybe someone has experienced this issue.  My son and I were fishing yesterday.  We were in an incredible bite.  My son hooks into a moose of a Tarpon. Of course it’s on the smallest rod on the boat.  We’ll long story short this 100 plus lber jumps 3x runs long and breaks off.  Come to find out the line broke because the drag knob tightened up.  It tightened up so much that I can’t get the *** thing off.  I’m sure those runs must of heated something up.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions how to get that drag knob off?    Thanks y’all 

• Like 1

Well if nothing else this is going to be a great story over the years.  I have as many memories, maybe more, about the one that got away as I do the one that I have landed.

I have not experienced anything like that, but I have been moving away from Shimano reels.  Over the years I have found that the quality has slipped.  I have 2 CI4 that are on the shelf for a variety of annoying issues.  Some Stratics that the handles turned to goo.  I have been using Diawa BGMQ and quite happy so far.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chief5130 said:

Well if nothing else this is going to be a great story over the years.  I have as many memories, maybe more, about the one that got away as I do the one that I have landed.

I have not experienced anything like that, but I have been moving away from Shimano reels.  Over the years I have found that the quality has slipped.  I have 2 CI4 that are on the shelf for a variety of annoying issues.  Some Stratics that the handles turned to goo.  I have been using Diawa BGMQ and quite happy so far.

Definitely great memories.  My son is off to College to play ball and this was our last trip before he takes off.  👍

I have so many Shimano’s and this was really the first major issue I’ve experienced. I’ll phase them out as they go.  Thanks. 

Uhhhhh.... I really dont think we can blame reel quality here.  That reel was grossly under sized for that class of fish and there would have been no winner, either you play the fish till its eventual death from over exhaustion or the reel breaks and I dont think there was much chance on landing it.  Should have just palmed the spool and broke it off as soon as the realization was made you were out gunned

• Like 1