Trolling motor

Flatsout1171

I have a MK- I-Pilot 112 lb. on my 24 Pathfinder which works perfectly. I especially like the anchor lock feature. 
I also have a MK 80 lb. Terrova on my Ranger Banshee and it also works well for the use I put it through. 

My fishing buddy just bought a new Power Pole MOVE 80 lb 24/36 volt for his 17ft Action Craft and it is amazingly quiet and very powerful. It has all the features as MK .

The new Power Pole motor is brushless and also Minn Kota just came out with a new brushless motor which I’m sure is comparable.

I’m not sure about the costs of the MK but his Power Pole MOVE was $5000

12 hours ago, HoneyB said:

My personal opinion is MK over Rodan. Never owned motor guide some people love them. If I were spending the money I would want to try the power pole motor! 

I have had 2 Rhodan's and would not suggest them at all. First one came on a flats boat I bought and while it worked it was noisy and I mean noisy. The other one is on my offshore boat and I swear it has spent more time in the shop than on the boat. Barely been used and the board was replace and now they say the motor is no good due to water intrusion. They are giving me a credit for them swapping out the board but still it has little use. Also the paint is peeling like crazy, they are over rated by many IMO.

I really like the Motorguide XI5 for flats boats it is quiet and always seems to work. Only complaint is the remote, it is susceptible to water intrusion. I keep it in a dry box and usually keep a spare around. The part I like about the MG remote vs the MK remote is the MG remote has fewer buttons and they are larger making it easier to operate without looking, it is also lighter which makes for less swinging when your casting and just less weight around your neck all day.

Really interested in the new MK brushless trolling motor but they are pricey although not as pricey as the Power Pole. I paid $1700 for the MotorGuide and I would be hard pressed to spend $4K+ on a new motor.

After looking it’s a toss up between the Minn kota or motorguide I really can’t see my myself spending 5k for a trolling motor lol. Plus I blew my hpdi so I’m getting the 250 sho which is costing me a pretty penny. I’m just not sure about a remote hanging around my neck all day I guess it’s something I would have to get used to

I have a minn kota on my 20ft  Hewes light tackle. it's a 70 24volt on the bow.. Works just fine and is simple because it is a manual.  I( would probably get  GPS  model if I was going to use it to hold spots,but I don't need that in LIS Connecticut ,I move with the tide..  70-80 should work fine with your boat. I will say a remote would be great AT MY EXTENDED AGE.LOL

On 8/20/2023 at 4:44 AM, Flatsout1171 said:

After looking it’s a toss up between the Minn kota or motorguide I really can’t see my myself spending 5k for a trolling motor lol. Plus I blew my hpdi so I’m getting the 250 sho which is costing me a pretty penny. I’m just not sure about a remote hanging around my neck all day I guess it’s something I would have to get used to

I use the anchor lock more than anything on mine, so I hang the remote off the windshield frame and just reach over to make adjustments because I also don’t like the remote hanging around my neck all day. I’ve had both MK and MG…I would go with MK if it were my decision based on history with both.

IMG_2367.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Flatsout I have the MK 80 ipilot on my 03 21 RF.  Thing works great.  It comes with the larger remote guys usually hang around their necks.  You can also get a smaller remote that I just clip on a belt loop and drop it in my pocket.  The spot lock feature is great.  I haven't had any issues with the tm.  You're gonna love the 250 SHO on your RF.  Trust me.....lol.😁

• Like 1

Don't fret about the remote size.....I DO NOT USE ONE ON MY NECK....ON MY BOAT...

My buddy has one and he likes the neck thing....and when I'm running his boat....I wear it...but, don't like it

I bought a higher end spring loaded retractor and mine sits low on my hip in my outer fishing pocket when not in use and it comes up to waist height for running the stiff....always wear the same pants....

DC

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...