Tow rigs for 2600 HPS w/tower

robt

Just curious what people are using for their tow vehicle and real world numbers.  I'm anticipating having about 6K lbs boat/motor/trailer.  I currently have an SUV that has a tow capacity of 8100 lbs, I'm thinking of trading it in on a truck might be more practical.  

Let me know your thoughts 

Thanks 

Rob

Lots of variables, 8100 decent tow weight but stopping as well, JJFisherman mentioned this in a post not to long ago., I'm using a 2001 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax I've had since new for the 2300 and other items I tow, Truck 2 2016 GMC Canyon Diesel for mud boat and smaller items, Other on the sight like the Ford Eco Boost 1/2 ton, Grandson drives one as well with no complaints.

• Like 1

For the travel and around town,  most rigs are fine. I always found that the ramps were the trouble spots.  My boat/trailer is about 5K#. On steep ramps, and those with slime or gas and oils… I need the 4WD for the pull out. 
I have a ‘20 F150 with the 5.0 and 4WD. Tows well and is civil on the Highway. 11-12 towing the boat but I get 20 mpg on the highway without the boat.

I don’t know what your area ramps are like at low tide. I would say your optimal tow rig would be 3/4 ton with 4 WD. You would have no weakness on the road or ramp.

If you do use the wife’s SUV till you get a truck, keep a long tow strap in it for a slippery ramp. So you can hook it to the frame and get a helping pull.

Just my two-cents worth.

MM

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  My normal ramps are pretty tame most of the year so not a problem.  I'm looking at the Ford 150 powerboost with tow package/ 4x4.  On paper should pull about 12500 ish.  Is the advantage of the 3/4 ton longer wheelbase or just more power?

Thats the question for you, do you need a 3/4 diesel truck? What else are you going to pull? All of the new diesel will have some type of DEF issues, doesn’t matter the brand. 1/2 ton diesels give great fuel milage unloaded, anything you put a boat behind like a 26 HPS fuel economy is out the window, diesels offer more pulling torque and will do a bit better on fuel than a gas engine but a lot of folks pull with 1/2 ton trucks, last is cost all trucks are up there in cost, 3/4 tons are way up there in price! I’m sure others will chime in

hope it helps

• Like 1

There are 3/4 ton gas trucks (GM). Towing the boat with all the gear is a full load for a 1/2 ton. You can do it for around town.  If you do plan to go on trips to the Keys or other long hauls, the 3/4 tons have better cooling systems and suspensions for the loading.
The F-150’s are fine trucks. 
I chose the V-8 because it’s simpler and sounds better. I only get 1 less mpg on the highway over the Eco boosts. 
The 2600 is on the edge of needing the diesel power.. The 4WD is essential.. 

MM

Consider fuel capacity on any truck, have a good friend that had a new gmc at4 half ton. Coast is about a good hour for us. He couldn’t make round trip without refueling. He has a 22 rabalo. I have 24 trs with hard ttop. I drive 3/4 ton anyway. I have absolutely no concerns pulling, or more importantly stopping.