Using Battery 2 on switch to crank Engine

rubble

When Battery 1 is drained on the water and the time comes to put the battery switch on Battery 2 to attempt to crank the engine, what is the best way to get the switch back to 1?  Do turn the switch back to 1 by going through the "Off" or going through the "Both" position?  

I believe you should never switch battery position on switch while engine is running... either leave on battery 2 coming in and put bat 1 on charge when you get back home or keep a lithium jump pack or a set of jumper cables on board to provide "jump" juice to #1 battery.  There would be a temporary disconnect if you tried to move switch from 2 to 1, or any other pattern,  which would damage your alternator. You can try "both" position and then leave in that position till you turn off engine (ie get back to ramp or home).  In the both position you may or may not be able to get engine started... best to have short set of jumper cables or a jump pack - jump packs are very reasonably priced and are a very reliable backup. I have  one that I did not put a charge on for 2 years and it started a 200 hp 4 stroke for a stranded boater one day.  One of the items in my permanent boat bag that goes in any boat I board.

it's about 7"x3.75"x1.5", weighs less than 1.5 lbs

image.thumb.jpg.0478a6e1f26788322e16dae3580a92f5.jpg

Many years ago I blew a power pack on an engine switching batteries while running.  I would start the motor on battery 2.  After running for a while, I would shut off the motor and start it on both.  Then after running awhile, I would shut off the motor and try to start it on battery 1.  This would give you the best opportunity to charge both batteries.

• Like 2

I may have been doing it wrong my entire boating life. Always start and run on BOTH no matter the boat or its size. Only use 1 or two if at anchor at night to run lights. Never had a problem. Both batteries always show same readings when tested and last the same amount of time. 3-5 years. Longer on larger boats 5+. Wet cell batteries. 

• Like 1