UPS - Shippers BE AWARE !!!

Wanaflatsfish

One of the forum members Brew1891 sold me his used Pathfinder Backrest.  Thanks again AND GREAT JOB ON THE PACKING.

I discovered something which really concerned me.....

Somehow UPS delivered the package to the wrong address (long story short - it was two houses away); BUT - BIG BUT....there was NO WAY  to determine where it was for two days.

AND, THE SHIPPER HAD TO FILE THE CLAIM....UPS WOULD NOT TALK TO ME !!!

Brewer had to put in a claim etc.....more work for him....something I never knew.

So, be aware that once you ship using UPS, it goes into the UPS blackhole....I was transferred over and over from the Philippines to the USA to the store in Orlando....it was over 2 hours over several days to only find out.....NOTHING WE CAN DO.....PLEASE FILE A CLAIM....Oh, and when I asked how long would it be to find the package...they told me...7-10 days after the claim....

NOW....if I'm over dramatic or a forum member would like to provide reasons, or other information....please do....or, if they have had a better experience....please help me with deeper understanding....I will NEVER choose UPS on my own, unless it's an AMAZON return, directed by AMAZON...

DC

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, George Seither said:

I've had trouble with both Fed Ex and UPS in the past

Yes George, but, I guess it never hit me as I was totally helpless...my address is 6051....it was delivered to 5951 (the guy was out traveling on Wed and Thursday)...or he would have brought it over same day....it was quite frustrating....

DC

This is nothing new.  I have filed dozens of claims for lost packages and damaged goods with UPS  I shipped and they are never paid.  Try to call someone and get nowhere fast.  Furthermore, if you ship UPS overnight and it gets there 2 or 3 days later there is no refund or adjustment of any kind.  They have no account manager to call.  UPS is just one big risk.  I thought about just suing them for a lot including all of the losses added up just to make a point and get somone's attention.  I'm too busy but one day I think I will do it.  Try to switch to Fed EX to try?  I have been trying to get an account established there linked into ship station for 3 months and they cannot seem to get it done.    Easy to establish an account but get it going into ship station with the negotiated rate seems to be impossible.  One big run around.  Still no luck after months of calling every week.  Had to revert back to mostly USPS.  Seems to be the least hassle and lowest overall risk.  Pretty crazy for a 6 figure shipping account.

It’s on the shippers account and he’s the one that has to do the “claim”, even for misdirected packages. It happens, but fortunately not a lot (unless there’s a similar address nearby). 

Been that way for eons. Nothing the buyer can do, except rely upon the shipper to try and get it redirected or ship a new one out.  🙄

13 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

It’s on the shippers account and he’s the one that has to do the “claim”, even for misdirected packages. It happens, but fortunately not a lot (unless there’s a similar address nearby). 

Been that way for eons. Nothing the buyer can do, except rely upon the shipper to try and get it redirected or ship a new one out.  🙄

So, lesson learned is that ship is as yourself....."don't know if it can be done"...from a 3rd party.

dc

On 8/24/2023 at 12:21 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

One of the forum members Brew1891 sold me his used Pathfinder Backrest.  Thanks again AND GREAT JOB ON THE PACKING.

I discovered something which really concerned me.....

Somehow UPS delivered the package to the wrong address (long story short - it was two houses away); BUT - BIG BUT....there was NO WAY  to determine where it was for two days.

AND, THE SHIPPER HAD TO FILE THE CLAIM....UPS WOULD NOT TALK TO ME !!!

Brewer had to put in a claim etc.....more work for him....something I never knew.

So, be aware that once you ship using UPS, it goes into the UPS blackhole....I was transferred over and over from the Philippines to the USA to the store in Orlando....it was over 2 hours over several days to only find out.....NOTHING WE CAN DO.....PLEASE FILE A CLAIM....Oh, and when I asked how long would it be to find the package...they told me...7-10 days after the claim....

NOW....if I'm over dramatic or a forum member would like to provide reasons, or other information....please do....or, if they have had a better experience....please help me with deeper understanding....I will NEVER choose UPS on my own, unless it's an AMAZON return, directed by AMAZON...

DC

Hey buddy I’m sorry you had a bad experience with the mis delivered package. I’m a driver up here in SC. The best course of action is to try and flag down your driver and just simply ask if he or she remembers delivering the package. More than likely if it was within a couple of days they will remember. The customer service route is painful and yes it takes about a week for the claim to go out with the driver to investigate. They can pull a satellite view of where the package was scanned and where it was stop completed. We have started taking pictures of the package as proof of delivery within the last month like amazon does. Major PITA for drivers but i get it is helpful for customers. I think you have to be a UPS my choice member to view them though. (Free Service just sign up). Like i said the best route is to ask the driver in your neighborhood. Unfortunately mis deliveries happen sometimes. I’m sorry it happened to you. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carolinadrifter said:

Hey buddy I’m sorry you had a bad experience with the mis delivered package. I’m a driver up here in SC. The best course of action is to try and flag down your driver and just simply ask if he or she remembers delivering the package. More than likely if it was within a couple of days they will remember. The customer service route is painful and yes it takes about a week for the claim to go out with the driver to investigate. They can pull a satellite view of where the package was scanned and where it was stop completed. We have started taking pictures of the package as proof of delivery within the last month like amazon does. Major PITA for drivers but i get it is helpful for customers. I think you have to be a UPS my choice member to view them though. (Free Service just sign up). Like i said the best route is to ask the driver in your neighborhood. Unfortunately mis deliveries happen sometimes. I’m sorry it happened to you. 

NCDrifter....I have a great relationship with my UPS driver....he's always super friendly and hides my packages behind the bushes.....etc.

I know mistakes will happen....my frustration was not with the driver, but, with the systems that support my shipment.

And, yes, I had a picture of the delivery which allowed me to know, it was NOT delivered to my house....I guess if my neighbor had not been traveling this would have been a non-issue...he would have come over the same day and said, "hey, I got your stuff", we have a close nit neighborhood.

I did look for my driver...but, I couldn't find one for a day or so....I did go to several different variations of my address as well....no luck.

Anyway, we found it....but, my frustration was quite high for two days....

I will be going to FEDEX tomorrow to ship an item, I will check on their process for lost delivery - I did not know that the UPS franchise stores are totally independent....when I went to my local store, they said, "can't help you, you must go to the Orlando store for help".

Thank you for your comments....maybe send this thread to your management...it might help.

DC

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

NCDrifter....I have a great relationship with my UPS driver....he's always super friendly and hides my packages behind the bushes.....etc.

I know mistakes will happen....my frustration was not with the driver, but, with the systems that support my shipment.

And, yes, I had a picture of the delivery which allowed me to know, it was NOT delivered to my house....I guess if my neighbor had not been traveling this would have been a non-issue...he would have come over the same day and said, "hey, I got your stuff", we have a close nit neighborhood.

I did look for my driver...but, I couldn't find one for a day or so....I did go to several different variations of my address as well....no luck.

I will be going to FEDEX tomorrow to ship an item, I will check on their process for lost delivery - I did not know that the UPS franchise stores are totally independent....when I went to my local store, they said, "can't help you, you must go to the Orlando store for help".

Thank you for your comments....maybe send this thread to your management...it might help.

DC

Our UPS driver is also super friendly , good thing is if he accidentally delivers to wrong address he can always be found around lunch at one of the three food trucks here on the Island.  

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

DC

Make sure to use FedEx express. They are actually employed by the company. FedEx ground is a contractor model where the drivers work for independent contractors who own their routes and are paid by FedEx based on number of stops/ pieces delivered. They are usually paid a flat daily rate which is why you see them hauling *** and running everywhere. Good luck. I hope it works out better for you. 

Have had some similar issues.  Had purchased a Tilly Hat several years ago.  Was about two weeks and no hat.  Tracking said that it was delivered and signed for.  The time it was signed for there would have been nobody home and the signature was not in my writing.  Either the driver dropped and signed or someone was waiting for it, signed and stole it.  Only problem was the driver knew us and would not have let that happen.  Think he took a shortcut and signed for it.  

Recently received a package from Amazon that wasn't for me.  Didn't know the recipient but recognized the address.  It was going to a business just delivered to wrong address.  Called Amazon to inform them and they said I had a few options:  1-Keep it.  2.  Throw it away.  3. Donate it to a charity.  They didn't care but were sending out another package to same recipient.  I drove it to them  next day (was on a Sunday) and they said they already received a notice from Amazon they were shipping another package.  

Anyway, if in Dino's case when it's a case sensitive shipment, you're hosed if they lose it or something happens.  Being at the "system's" mercy is not good.

21 hours ago, Carolinadrifter said:

Misleading information. Read the article not just the headlines. Oh how I wish they paid us $170k!

"Part-time workers will make no less than $21 an hour, up from a minimum of $15.50 currently, according to the union. Part-time pay was a sticking point during labor negotiations. Full-time workers will average $49 an hour. Current workers will get $2.75 more an hour this year and $7.50 an hour more over the five-year contract. UPS drivers will average $170,000 in pay and benefits at the end of the five-year deal, said CEO Carol Tomé on an earnings call earlier this month."

5 hours ago, rubble said:

I drove it to them  next day (was on a Sunday) and they said they already received a notice from Amazon they were shipping another package.  

They must of conducted the analysis it's less expensive to ship another package then to spend time to investigate....I've heard "stories" of people recieving two sets of pricy electronic items when they had the same scenario as above.....interesting business models.

DC

14 hours ago, Big Dave said:

"Part-time workers will make no less than $21 an hour, up from a minimum of $15.50 currently, according to the union. Part-time pay was a sticking point during labor negotiations. Full-time workers will average $49 an hour. Current workers will get $2.75 more an hour this year and $7.50 an hour more over the five-year contract. UPS drivers will average $170,000 in pay and benefits at the end of the five-year deal, said CEO Carol Tomé on an earnings call earlier this month."

49x2080= 101,920

pernsion 13x2080= 27,040

heathcare 500x52= 26,000

total: 154,960+ overtime

that’s all at the end of the contract. August 2027

Current rate $44.75x 2080= 93,080+ overtime. 

The 170 number is based on about a 45 hour/ week average. Hence why I said it was misleading. I’ve had so many people lately approach me saying y’all make $170k!! Nobody makes their monthly budget based on total compensation package.