New Trolling Motor Prop??

MuddyBottomBluz

On the fence about durability and the higher voltage motors? Just found it so investigating. They make props for large scale model airplanes and entered the trolling motor world. I will check it out for my 36 volt 101 trolling motor. My only problem is the draft you would lose with the longer blades. Again, just investigating.

And just to mention - I've dealt with APC props for a very long time on RC airplanes. They are good on model aircraft, but I can't see a narrow chord propeller being very practical, and definitely not near as efficient as a wide chord prop that is to be used in water and strong current where you need to travel the opposite direction or the holding force to stay in one place.

3 minutes ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

And just to mention - I've dealt with APC props for a very long time on RC airplanes. They are good on model aircraft, but I can't see a narrow chord propeller being very practical, and definitely not near as efficient as a wide chord prop that is to be used in water and strong current where you need to travel the opposite direction or the holding force to stay in one place.

Excellent point....but, for a few $$....maybe I"ll be a guinea pig :)   I like new tech stuff...could be a complete DUD on a 23 HPS 36V !!!

DC

On 9/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, HewesYourDaddy said:

I think I've posted this before....... Kipawa 3 blade high performance trolling motor props. I've put one on every TM I've owned and now my friends do also.

https://www.kipawapropellers.com/

I’ve been using the Kipawa propeller since you mentioned it in a post several months earlier. I like it better than the stock MK. Very much appreciated the info. Thanks

2 hours ago, searing said:

I’ve been using the Kipawa propeller since you mentioned it in a post several months earlier. I like it better than the stock MK. Very much appreciated the info. Thanks

I purchased one for my MotorGuide when my OEM propeller lost a fight with an oyster bar. I notice very little to no difference in the between the Motorguide propeller and the Kipawa propeller. But at $40 vs $60 I'll definitely buy the Kipawa again.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tender said:

I purchased one for my MotorGuide when my OEM propeller lost a fight with an oyster bar. I notice very little to no difference in the between the Motorguide propeller and the Kipawa propeller. But at $40 vs $60 I'll definitely buy the Kipawa again.

Mine holds better in current.  Seems to not use up battery charge as much also. 

On 9/7/2023 at 10:41 AM, HewesYourDaddy said:

Mine holds better in current.  Seems to not use up battery charge as much also. 

Ahhh makes sense, I have 24v Lithiums on a HPXV and have never come close to running out of juice and rarely fish high current. Probably why I haven't seen a huge difference. It is more durable than the OEM but not as durable as when I put the aluminum Machete prop on it. That thing was indestructible but it finally got a little harmonic hum to it. The Kipawa is definitely superior to the OEM though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Word of caution! I love the Kipawa so far, for all the reasons mentioned above and none of that dreaded shudder vibration when turning at higher speeds. 

something to consider, because if it’s design, larger and more pitch, it’s gonna draw more amps at speed compared to stock. There is a video out on YouTube of a guy comparing the amp draw between the two props at different speed settings.  If operating in heavy current/heavy load etc, this has the potential to overwhelm your plug and or breaker. 

I was lazy when I got my new to me Mav last month and didn’t replace the cylindrical old style battery plug with a battery tender plug like I usually do. Went out tarpon fishing bridges in high current the other night and pop goes the breaker. Open up deck hatch, cloud of smoke. A bad connection on that plug with the increased draw basically melted the whole thing before blowing the breaker. Could have been worse but got it cooled down and settled went home, replaced with battery tender, back to the bridge the other night no problem. 

so, this is not to pick in any particular plug but rather if you choose this prop be mindful of the increased load and check to make sure all your connections and breakers are working properly! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BK922 said:

so, this is not to pick in any particular plug but rather if you choose this prop be mindful of the increased load and check to make sure all your connections and breakers are working properly! 

heavy load plus poor connection = smoke for sure...good post for all of us.....not only bad connection but heavy corrosion or a loose connection will result even in worse....the wire can fry somewhere you can't see it..

dc