Need fuel vent

HoneyB

I recently replaced mine with  original cap....this is impossible for one person (well at least me and my short arms).  Two people was a 5 min fix... original was Atwood. 

attwood 1674-6 90 Degree P-Trap Fuel Tank Vent https://a.co/d/5X5z4CZ

The link above shows three versions, the description will let you know that you are ordering ss trim version...Amazon link for complete setup - $15 on Amazon for entire setup(you only need) vent...but WM or others were up to $40 for the outer vent single piece(ss trim). You can find for $5 if you want just std black vent only.

I took a pair of needle nose pliers and slowly worked the vent loose (what was left of it as it was just the threads that were left-flush to the hull)(counterclockwise).  It took a little effort as the hole through the hull is a little larger and the gap was filled with 5200 (my guess).  I took mine completely off and then as I was concerned about - the inside hull part was not secured and wanted to travel before I could insert outer vent... was able to grab a neighbor who accessed the p trap and vent hose through my anchor locker, grabbed ahold off it, was able to realign the hole and in 2 minutes I had it threaded... I applied silicone sealant and then screwed vent down.

I looked at the newer stainless vents as well.. a few issues... there is no p trap with newer ss vents, so to do change out I would've had to cut an access hole on my larger forward compartment for access to do install (and install a cover afterwards), replace vent hose with a longer hose in order to create an upper loop to prevent salt water getting into tank, recut hole in hull as original hole does not appear large enough. 

If there is ever a problem with the p trap, I can see that an access hole In that forward hatch will be needed, other than someone holding p trap in place, the anchor locker access would not work for a replacement.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I know some of you guys have changed out your fuel vents. I need to change my vent on my 16 Hewes due to the cap on the outside of the boat breaking off. Any thoughts or ideas on  changing mine out to one of the newer stainless flush vents appreciated 

JMO, I would stick with the orig style if you haven’t had a problem with it. Keep it simple if possible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jim33042 said:

I recently replaced mine with  original cap....this is impossible for one person (well at least me and my short arms).  Two people was a 5 min fix... original was Atwood. 

attwood 1674-6 90 Degree P-Trap Fuel Tank Vent https://a.co/d/5X5z4CZ

The link above shows three versions, the description will let you know that you are ordering ss trim version...Amazon link for complete setup - $15 on Amazon for entire setup(you only need) vent...but WM or others were up to $40 for the outer vent single piece(ss trim). You can find for $5 if you want just std black vent only.

I took a pair of needle nose pliers and slowly worked the vent loose (what was left of it as it was just the threads that were left-flush to the hull)(counterclockwise).  It took a little effort as the hole through the hull is a little larger and the gap was filled with 5200 (my guess).  I took mine completely off and then as I was concerned about - the inside hull part was not secured and wanted to travel before I could insert outer vent... was able to grab a neighbor who accessed the p trap and vent hose through my anchor locker, grabbed ahold off it, was able to realign the hole and in 2 minutes I had it threaded... I applied silicone sealant and then screwed vent down.

I looked at the newer stainless vents as well.. a few issues... there is no p trap with newer ss vents, so to do change out I would've had to cut an access hole on my larger forward compartment for access to do install (and install a cover afterwards), replace vent hose with a longer hose in order to create an upper loop to prevent salt water getting into tank, recut hole in hull as original hole does not appear large enough. 

If there is ever a problem with the p trap, I can see that an access hole In that forward hatch will be needed, other than someone holding p trap in place, the anchor locker access would not work for a replacement.

Thanks for the link. Maybe I can salvage my vent. I know the cap is broken off but there is a nipple sticking out. I will look a bit closer at what is left on mine this weekend. 
 Thanks for the other replies and yes I do need to get to fishing because that “other guy”is catching  and posting pics of some nice fishes in  local waters! 😁

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HoneyB said:

Thanks for the link. Maybe I can salvage my vent. I know the cap is broken off but there is a nipple sticking out. I will look a bit closer at what is left on mine this weekend. 
 Thanks for the other replies and yes I do need to get to fishing because that “other guy”is catching  and posting pics of some nice fishes in  local waters! 😁

Here is a pic of mine before replacement. It originally had a water shield, but that was torn as well so I didn't reuse and new ones do not have this.

10023FC2-9FCD-4776-AB79-B3800B5EC39F.thumb.jpeg.f34d0a38f2bb39e7eb9a555b33ca0dd2.jpeg
the entire part on the outside of the hull will come off with the inner threaded part which is through the hull and into the p trap.

5E4DE848-04B9-4A23-B054-D36091A7085F.jpeg

Update!  I did order the replacement Atwood part to change the cap portion on the outside of the hull. Thanks for all information from members. IMG_7035.thumb.jpeg.f25af2c63e50fd5853897da6c7cadee4.jpeg
 I did learn that some people here must have arms akin to a spider monkey. There was absolutely no way I could reach the part from the anchor well. With the help of a snake camera and a handle from my dip net I was able to hold the T in place on the inside and my son screwed the cap on the outside of the hull. We ready to roll now.