Maverick ma with fuel tank in the rear

Laus

I bought my 1987 master angler 18.5 around 6 months ago and the fuel tank is under the rear seat (30 gallon tank) which causes it to sit low in the rear. Every other MA I see has the fuel tank in the bow. Was this a factory option or was this done later? the boat was refitted two years ago and I recently put a 2014 Yamaha 150 on the back but it likes to porpoise from 22-30 then stops, other than that the boat performs great. Would moving the fuel tank to the front prevent this? 

Are all your batteries up front? I’m assuming you have three. If not, try placing all three up front to compensate before reposition a fuel tank.

As far as the tank being set up like that from factory, I’m not sure but, it seems odd for it to be located under your tush.

Check the access hatch for the fuel sender. It’s usually inside of the console floor. Open it up and see if it is vacant in there or is there a tank in there that they just decided to by pass cause they did not want to cut the deck open. 

• Like 1

I am almost positive a 1987 MA had the gas tank located in the front bow hatch, similar to 90’s Hewes.  The tank under the rear seat is not original.  

You can attempt moving weight and running an aggressive stern lifting prop to compensate.  Or, visit a fab shop and have a replacement tank built for the factory front location.  

On 9/13/2023 at 9:34 PM, Laus said:

I bought my 1987 master angler 18.5 around 6 months ago and the fuel tank is under the rear seat (30 gallon tank) which causes it to sit low in the rear. Every other MA I see has the fuel tank in the bow. Was this a factory option or was this done later? the boat was refitted two years ago and I recently put a 2014 Yamaha 150 on the back but it likes to porpoise from 22-30 then stops, other than that the boat performs great. Would moving the fuel tank to the front prevent this? 

suggest you post some pics of the the tank and bow area.....

dc

• Like 1