TRS Seat Question

bh973

I've had the same problem and did some reading on preventing rusting screws. From my research, there are two main reasons for rust on stainless hardware.

1. The screw driver tip plays a roll in transferring carbon to the head of the screw and starts the rust there. You can buy screw driver tips that are coated or made of Beryllium and they will not transfer carbon to the screws.

2. Water is the second culprit. Not surface water but water entering the area between the screw and fibergl*** causes rust. In your case, you'll have to remove the rust on the fibergl*** with some rust removing product, then use a small amount of quality caulking to bed the screws. The caulking will prevent water from sitting between the screw and the fibergl***. "Boat-Life" makes a very good clear caulking for this type of project.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue in my 24TRS.  I cleaned them once using a rust remover from West Marine and a toothbrush.  Since then I prop my seats open against the back rest (45 angle) when not in use so the moisture doesnt build up ... has not re-rusted since.

• 3 months later...

I don't see anyone mentioning the wonders of  "OSPHO" which you can buy in quarts or  gallons at ACE and other places.

I always take brand new SS screws or hardware and soak overnight in the stuff.  It is supposed to "passivate" the SS surface and greatly reduces rusting.  Read about it on Net.  Could take piano hnge off and soak or rub it also.

the best process for passivating 300 series stainless is a nitric acid solution with a distilled water rinse this will remove all the surface iron.  which causes the rust something as simple as a stel screwdriver can start the rust back.  I would have to look up the concentration I think it was 0.1 molar.  one of the sites I believe said 20%.  I used to passivate spacecraft hardware after rework/machining.

Archived