Maverick MA Gas Tank

blacklab23

I did as much searching on here and the other popular forum trying to find an answer, but I could not. Have very much enjoyed looking through here, especially at the rebuild’s. The whichwayisup thread was a joy to read from start to finish. 

I grew up in a ‘90 18.5 MA. My dad had to split the hull, I’m going to guess around 07-08 to do the gas tank. I haven’t had a boat since he sold that boat in 2018 and am starting to get serious. 

It seems there really isn’t a consensus on whether an aluminum tank is any more susceptible to leaking than a poly tank. Do y’all agree with that?

My dream is to own a 21’ MA. From the above mentioned thread it appears that the stringers were not tied into the transom until after 2003, so I’m trying to find something between 04-08. Am I realistic to expect at some point, maybe a year maybe 15 years, I’ll need to replace the tank. And am I correct that the stringers are more secure on the “newer” 21’s? 

Appreciate any help and as a long time lurker this forum is always a joy to read. 

• Like 1

I hope you get some answered to your question here. I am very curious on the tank discussion as well as the stringer discussion. 
 I just bought a 1992 MA. My dilemma is do I just pull the entire cap before I get started with this boat? I know the fuel tank is likely oem. And it is in the front of the boat not the floor. I am just curious about the stringers condition so it sounds like the cap need to come off for  stringer inspection  and gas tank replacement  if I bought the boat in running condition I would just go fishing .. but it was clearly a project to get it back on the water. 

I just brought home a 1992 18.5 master angler. It has an old 150 Yamaha hanging on a 6” jack plate and I do not see any sign of cracking underneath or on the transom. My intent is to pull the cap to get to the tank and inspect the stringers. From outside inspection the boat had no issues with a big ole v6 hanging on there for 30 plus years 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blacklab23 said:

I’m also wondering what the transom can handle without being reinforced? I talked to a guy with a ‘99 who put a 200 Suzuki on it and it was cracking the transom. 

Early 21 MA’s stringer and bulkhead grids were not built well.  They were light on material for sure.  Definitely pursue a more modern 21.  2005 and newer.  

Blacklab, 

Thanks for the kind words about the rebuild thread, that was quite a saga and the guys on here were instrumental in it being such a success.  

A few things:

Poly tanks have much much longer lifespans than uncoated aluminum tanks.  I have yet to figure out  how long they last but “forever” is the common response.  Per a sinilar thread, poly tanks do allow a fuel odor though, so there is a trade off. 

The stringer issue you referenced where they dont tie into the transome is specific to the 18s and only from 2000 to 2002 (and some 02s have an updated design).  The 21s had a completely different set of issues in the pre 2004 or 2005 models (never been able to figure out exactly when). The entire grid seemed to be problematic but was most evident around the seachest.  So if you want a 21 you need to look post 05 or be willing to do what MA 21 is doing.  

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, HoneyB said:

I just brought home a 1992 18.5 master angler. It has an old 150 Yamaha hanging on a 6” jack plate and I do not see any sign of cracking underneath or on the transom. My intent is to pull the cap to get to the tank and inspect the stringers. From outside inspection the boat had no issues with a big ole v6 hanging on there for 30 plus years 

Before you decapitate her…get you a boroscope light and go into every available space to see what it all looks like. You can even drill a few 1/2” holes to run the snake in…. You may be surprised ( hopefully good ) you can a cheap one at Harbour Frieght if you are only using it for that. It’s worth a shot. Get one with at least 6 feet of snake. Sometimes they are called plumbers below floor and inner wall cameras. JJ

I know I am going to cut out the fuel tank. It looks to be the tank original tank. I know the tunnel tube is rolling around under the floor so it is broken loose from any mount. I am still looking everywhere I can get into the belly. I just know I would feel pretty stupid to spend some time and money on the boat and not do everything I could to ensure I do not have a stringer failure and cracked hull three years from now.  I do have a small snake camera that I have used countless times on my boats but with all the boxes in the cap sitting on top of the stringers I do not see a way to really inspect them. I am still pulling crap (valuable boat stuff) off for the yard sale right now. 

Poly tank life, all I can say is they last a long time, ran a 70 gallon for 19 years and as far as I know its still running, tradeoff is fuel odors, aluminum tank life not sure I’m on 6 years of a 60 gallon now, address a leak once it occurred, I have seen some large contender go 20 years, sounds like your looking for the newest model 21MA you can find after reading all the sound advise in this post unless your looking for a project MA

On 9/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, whichwaysup said:

Blacklab, 

Thanks for the kind words about the rebuild thread, that was quite a saga and the guys on here were instrumental in it being such a success.  

A few things:

Poly tanks have much much longer lifespans than uncoated aluminum tanks.  I have yet to figure out  how long they last but “forever” is the common response.  Per a sinilar thread, poly tanks do allow a fuel odor though, so there is a trade off. 

The stringer issue you referenced where they dont tie into the transome is specific to the 18s and only from 2000 to 2002 (and some 02s have an updated design).  The 21s had a completely different set of issues in the pre 2004 or 2005 models (never been able to figure out exactly when). The entire grid seemed to be problematic but was most evident around the seachest.  So if you want a 21 you need to look post 05 or be willing to do what MA 21 is doing.  

Appreciate the reply. 

I’m looking at an ‘05, do we think those still had aluminum tanks?

Its just unfortunate because it’s my dream boat, but I’d hate to spend 30 grand and find out in 6 months the stringers need work. I certainly don’t have unlimited funds. But my other option is an 07 22’ tournament pathfinder and who’s to say the stringers/tank don’t need work on it. 

I think they went back to aluminum shortly after the 2000 year models, but not sure. Should be easy to see via the inspection hatch.  

As for the tank condition, a lot simply depends on how the boat was used and how well it was maintained.  You can have the tank pressure tested but that will only tell you current condition.  

I can tell you this, if it is REALLY your dream boat, then 5-10k to deal with a fuel tank in a few years may be worth it.   I put 13k into my MA 4 years ago.  I felt like a damned fool for doing it at the time, but in hindsight it was the best move to make.  Its the boat I always wanted and I knew it was the perfect boat for my needs.   

Sometimes it is just a matter of expectations.  A new boat is going to run you 50-100k.   Run that 05 for as long as you can, and in 3-5 years do a big restoration.  You may not make your money back, but you likely wont lose as much as the depreciation of a new boat.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, blacklab23 said:

Appreciate the reply. 

I’m looking at an ‘05, do we think those still had aluminum tanks?

It’s just unfortunate because it’s my dream boat, but I’d hate to spend 30 grand and find out in 6 months the stringers need work. I certainly don’t have unlimited funds. But my other option is an 07 22’ tournament pathfinder and who’s to say the stringers/tank don’t need work on it. 

Im pretty sure all MA’s had an aluminum tank.  That 07 tournament would have a poly tank.  

Capt. Troy has owned a few MA’s and would likely be able to confirm tank material in the later models.