Towing a 2000V vs a 2200

ohg123

I am going to be on the hunt for a PF in about 4 months, but before that I need a new vehicle (i need a new vehicle no matter what, but this is a major factor). Ill be swapping from a PF 17T which i currently tow with my Jeep Cherokee with zero issues, but I am definitely pushing it. Im targeting a 1900 but I am thinking a 2000 may work better and since they are both rare I may not be too picky. So lets say the 2000V to be safe.

Question is, it seems like the 1900V and 2000V seem to be riding on single axle trailers while the 2200V almost all seem to be on double axle - often with braking built in. Would a properly rated compact pickup be acceptable for a 2000V on a single axle trailer? It will mostly be for short trips but at least once per year hitting the road for a few hundred miles in one direction or another. Say a Tacoma or Canyon with the package to rate 7500 towing capacity vs the 3500 versions? They seem to have these wimpy ~2.5L in line V4 engines - which seems undergunned but I know tech changes a lot and there are many factors.... and i do not pay attention when I am not car shopping.

I know a lot about boats but have learned nothing about trucks - lack of interest I suppose. 

Any experience and help would be great. Id say the truck would be 2020 or newer and have whatever packet gets to that tow rating. Ranger, Tacoma and or Colorado/Canyon.

I had a 2000 with a single axle trailer with no brakes, a 2200 tandem with brakes and a 2005 single with brakes and there is a huge difference with and without brakes. The single axle is more maneuverable in a tight space but the tandem is safer in case of tire failure. As stated above going is less of an issue than stopping. All of my tow vehicles were rated at 7000# or above but the difference with and with out brakes is huge.  

5 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

I had a 2000 with a single axle trailer with no brakes, a 2200 tandem with brakes and a 2005 single with brakes and there is a huge difference with and without brakes. The single axle is more maneuverable in a tight space but the tandem is safer in case of tire failure. As stated above going is less of an issue than stopping. All of my tow vehicles were rated at 7000# or above but the difference with and with out brakes is huge.  

Any chance you or another of the local gurus happen to know the dry hull weight on the 2000V? and/or the max HP? I've heard several different numbers for both and the old manuals here on the website don't say either. Probably varied over the years. 

thanks!

Dry weight hull on the 2000V w/o engine is 1,250 lb.  An old Yamaha F150 weighs around 480 lb.  50 gallons of gas weighs 303 lbs,  figure on 3 batteries and a charger at 200 lbs.  other misc gear and trolling motor at 200 lbs.  Figure a single axel trailer weighs 700 lbs.  that’s estimate totals around 3,133.