Info on 115 hp two stroke

fin-addict

Trying to source out cooling plates for grandson-in-laws 1996 Yamaha 2 stroke. Thinks he means water jackets (2). His are shot. Engine overheating on load. Everything else checked out fine. Powerhead shows signs of corrosion will last awhile he hopes.

if anyone having a 115 is thinking of upgrading down the road please keep me in mind. The kid is on a limited budget. Has a 1996 Redfish Lappy 18

Thanks much,

Fin 👍😀

IMG_0193.jpeg

• Like 1

Has he tried flushing the motor with Rydlyme or another descaler?

I’m doing that this weekend on my 20 year old motor to get all that crud out and clean up the water jackets. Very easy to do and many have had great results with their over heating engines.

I’m going to start doing it now on a yearly basis. Salt water is a b&$@h!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coto said:

Has he tried flushing the motor with Rydlyme or another descaler?

I’m doing that this weekend on my 20 year old motor to get all that crud out and clean up the water jackets. Very easy to do and many have had great results with their over heating engines.

I’m going to start doing it now on a yearly basis. Salt water is a b&$@h!!!

Yes he did but did not help. Corrosion and pitting was bad. Now going to use salt away at every flush. Thanks much 

1 hour ago, Lap it Up said:

Did he remove both cylinder heads and the water jacket covers off the heads?

Curious on that as well.... 

Otherwise how is it known they are corroded bad enough to need replaced?

I did a descale on a 96 115 once.. pretty ez job as long as no bolts break... thats a big if.  Id rec trying to loosen them all 1st like a turn or 2 to see if any are gonna be a problem.  I had 1 that required some finesse.... a half of turn at a time then tighten and loosen a little more. 

These so called cleaners arent gonna work miracles, they can soften the outer layer of scale but lets not kid ourselves anything safe enough to leave in contact with the metal of the cooling jackets aint gonna clean it out.... yes Im sure some have had it make their OH alarm go away but Id wager they just bought a little bit of time and itll b back. 

When I did mine I used vinegar and a commercially available scale remover it helped a little but this stuff is like concrete so it would only soften a very thin layer on top so after you remove the layer thats soft ya gotta keep repeating the soaking and scraping. Some before and after pics:

100_0485.JPG

100_0492.JPG

• Like 2

The best cleaning method is a blast cabinet with Plastic media.  If it’s the weekend and I cant access my blaster I use slightly watered down muriatic acid to clean the scale.  You can also use on/off or starbrite hull cleaner.  Some folks will say acid is too harsh, but I beg to differ.  If a corrosion problem is going to show up, you want it to appear when you are cleaning the aluminum.  Let the acid sit and work for a couple minutes and then thoroughly rinse with water (repeat if necessary).  
I’ve done many Yamaha heads this way and pictured is a V6 cylinder head I did two years ago.  Engine runs like a Swiss watch.  Also pictured is an example of where to look to the cylinder head PN (don’t use the pictures PN, it’s for a 150 /175 head! LoL) 

AFEB9FC1-5352-467C-BAD2-D52B3FF77E7D.jpeg

E5A67E0F-E949-4AF9-9883-7D145ED12A04.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Did he remove both cylinder heads and the water jacket covers off the heads?

1. Only from one side. He called his mechanic and he sourced out two new ones and two used ones. If the used ones are good going with those. He wants to change to a 4 stroke in the future so trying to save some money. Thanks, fin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...