07 Redfisher 16 Trolling Motor Battery Location

Good afternoon, I have a 2007 Hewes Redfisher 16. The previous owner moved the two group 27 liquid acid trolling motor batteries to the front hatch from the center console. He stated that he made the move so that the boat would plane easier and more quickly. I’m not sure of his captains skills and if that is true or not. It seems to me that even with the trolling motor batteries all the way up front that the boat needs some consideration of the tabs to make it plain really really quickly. I feel like that heavy weight should be right there in the middle of the boat. It just seems logical to me that the middle of the boat would be the best place for balance overall. I also feel like the boat should be running back on the pad with the front in light.
I’m considering moving the two new batteries that I have back to the center console. This being a 2007 the fuel tank is also in the center of the boat under the floor. Would I be crazy to move those back to the center console?

I have a 2000 16 Bayfisher which is the same hull. At the moment my TM is a 12v / 55lb and both the lead acid start battery and lifepo4 battery that doubles as my TM and all things not connected to the ignition battery are still mounted in the starboard rear hatch. I plan to upgrade to a 24/36v trolling motor soon and will move the batteries to the console. Even with the batteries in the stern I have no trouble getting on plane quickly with tabs. After fishing this boat for almost 2 years now I wouldn’t put them in the front hatch. I may be wrong but I’m not sure that the weight won’t damage the inner liner of the front hatch over time. It’s a lot of weight and it will beat up everything in the front. It’s not as good for the life of the batteries where there is more bouncing and pounding too. Draft will be effected much less with them in the center console, specially when you’re fishing from the front deck.  Also you want to consider there are times you need the bow up like when riding waves sneaking through an inlet or super rough water.:)  I think you’re right to want to move them back to the console, and don’t believe you’ll regret it. 

• Like 1

Well I got after it a little bit today. I managed to shoe horn 2 group 27 agm under the console front seat hatch. I bought 27s because that is what the previous owner had up front, I just assumed that is what he moved. The holes under the seat were long ways with the boat. No way to get 27s through the hole to orient long ways so I had to Mount these 90 degrees perpendicular to the boat. The only real modification was that I had to unbolt the little shelf in there and move it back about 2”. I almost threw in the towel and was going to attempt to return the batteries and get 24s. I’ll probably appreciate the extra juice at some point. I also moved the charger and breaker back to the original locations. I can’t wait to fish it. Usually poling with someone on the front the keel would hit bottom first, I hope it is a noticeable difference. If not it’s still a better boat because now when the wife comes and she brings that gigantic bag with towels and crap it will fit in that gigantic front hatch. I’ll follow up again after a hell ride in Lake Jessup (close to my house) and a fishing trip or two. Thanks again fellas. IMG_4100.thumb.jpeg.719acdd83141f7c59d4727527e0c546a.jpegold location in the front deck hatchIMG_4102.thumb.jpeg.a80797e9b174ec76a9b4c25fcfd91465.jpegfour screws with the finish washers where the charger mounts under the console. It is back in there now. IMG_4101.thumb.jpeg.94bee9a7d6d7df4f72ccbd5c53bab247.jpegtwo bolts to hold the breakerIMG_4105.thumb.jpeg.fe9f55d39b70bfc3445c202f9f124244.jpegthat’s the original trolling motor plug, I have a new one to useIMG_4153.thumb.jpeg.456f111284b15ac7106718ae45888128.jpegI used a hole punch on some tape to patch the old holes with some 4200IMG_4162.thumb.jpeg.954292478e4db1836d0cd6958495f3cc.jpeghere they are, shoe horned in there. I just need to wire them up and change the trolling motor quick connect. 

IMG_4151.jpeg

IMG_4160.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpeg

• Like 1

I got to take it for a spin yesterday. I did a little bass fishing. I only have one bass lure, a top water rubber frog, I don’t expect the fish noticed any difference in the other lures a cause they buy them also. 
The boat is noticeably different. It’s a seat if the pants feeling and you’d probably have to know the boat but if you do then you can feel it. Where I could tell the difference in this trip is when you get that real mild porpoise in smooth water. There is less drag on the down stroke. 
I’m happy with the move so far, I’ll follow up again with a shallow water pole and troll update.