2000 MA 17 Gas Leak/Gas in Bilge

Poon Addict

When I got in off the water Saturday, I noticed a gas smell when I opened rear hatch to shut off battery switch.  After investigating I had/have very small amount of gas in my bilge area.  I drained bilge into glass jars and essentially can see no gas/water separation but gas odor is present in jars and still in boat.  I have checked/looked at all hose connections i can see/access don't see any obvious leaks.  Is there a way to check the gas tank for a leak without pulling the tank?  If turns out to be tank  I would appreciate any recommendations on a shop that has replaced the fuel tank in the MAs.  I live in Hernando Beach (about 1hr north of Tampa).  Willing to trailer boat  a few hours for right shop if need be. 

Thank you for any input.

Are you able to access the top of the tank? Check hose connections, sending unit, anti-siphon valve and vent. There are companies that can pressure test the tank and determine if the leak is in the tank or in the connections or hoses. Sorry, I can't recommend anyone, but someone on the forum will have a recommendation. 

Here is what I learned from my gas tank replacement in my 2003 MA!

Check the sending unit first because the area where the sending unit enters the tank sometimes has a leak. This is common but would not cause gas in the bilge area since it is on top.

Check your fuel filter hose because it may be worn and gas may be leaking.

Finally pressure test the tank— This is difficult as my console had to be removed to get access to do the test.

Changing the tank is costly and time consuming. Only a few shops will do the work. Average cost is $ 8K because of rising labor costs

7 minutes ago, DaveVero said:

Here is what I learned from my gas tank replacement in my 2003 MA!

Check the sending unit first because the area where the sending unit enters the tank sometimes has a leak. This is common but would not cause gas in the bilge area since it is on top.

Check your fuel filter hose because it may be worn and gas may be leaking.

Finally pressure test the tank— This is difficult as my console had to be removed to get access to do the test.

Changing the tank is costly and time consuming. Only a few shops will do the work. Average cost is $ 8K because of rising labor costs

Ditto....OP you have a 23 y/o tank...most likely time to change it....my 1995 MA17 had micro pitting (see the thread about the "Holy Ghost" it was about 1-2 years from leaking...the info above it correct..you can see how we changed it....not easy :(

dc

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info thus far guys!  Life and work have been very busy so haven't had a lot of time to diagnose issues.....So after 1st post, boat set on drive on dock for two weeks no additional fuel in bilge or fuel smell.  So ran boat last weekend to see if it leaked when running again no more gas in bilge may have had slight gas odor after running for 30 minutes, but nothing alarming.   Had my fingers crossed there was no issue and first post was just gas from a spill when i had filled it the last time..... So we planned a boat day to test it, which meant I needed to add some gas to the boat,  I put 15 gallons in the boat and as I filled we watched the vent tube and fill tube, no visible leaks.  However, after finished filling we shorty there after started smelling gas, so we decided not to run boat to be on safe side.... unfortunately after letting boat sit for several hours I had several ounces of visible gas in the bilge area.  

So my thought is that I do have leak in gas tank, but its up on side of tank that initially the fuel level was below and therefore was not leaking anymore, but when I put more gas in the boat yesterday it filled it up past the leak and now its leaking again?   Does that sound likely?  Any other explanations?

On 10/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, whichwaysup said:

That sounds like the issue to me.   Man, I am sorry to hear that!  Are you sure it's an aluminum tank?  My 2000 MA (18') has a poly tank.  I'd be curious which one you have in there.

Thanks.   Yes its an aluminum tank.  I have an access hatch in middle front compartment where I can see/access front end of gas tank, fill hose, gas line, and vent line.  And top end of tank looks in really good shape.  

Few pics I have taken, trying see better.

Going to order bore scope like Fin-addict suggested. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poon Addict said:

Nice to know, but, you most likely have some pin-holes in one of the corners.... and, unfortunately, you'll have to change out the tank..

Figure on $10-12K to have it done correctly.....new tank will run about $2K or so....last time I did mine...

Look at the thread on the Holy Ghost and you'll see my tank....looked ok, wasn't leaking, but, the pin holes were forming....

DC

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Nice to know, but, you most likely have some pin-holes in one of the corners.... and, unfortunately, you'll have to change out the tank..

Figure on $10-12K to have it done correctly.....new tank will run about $2K or so....last time I did mine...

Look at the thread on the Holy Ghost and you'll see my tank....looked ok, wasn't leaking, but, the pin holes were forming....

DC

Yes unfortunately I am pretty sure tank replacement is route I am headed.  I just want to exhaust all other possibilities before I pull that trigger. 

Thanks for the link to your Holy Ghost post. Very detailed and nice to see the process.   Did you cut hole for sending unit access or was it already cut?   Wanted to check that on mine but don't know where to cut hole.  Is there a way to know?

On 10/27/2023 at 10:46 AM, fin-addict said:

off topic,

Wanna, lucky I was sitting down when you mentioned the cost of the tank. Back in 1985 had to have a custom made tank 60 gal. Took two days and cost $60. Times they have changed 🤦‍♂️

I was lucky to have the Outlaw's team build mine.....I know I got a good discount...but, figure $30-40 / gallon these days....mine was 3 years ago....pre-pandemic...now, just getting someone to do one is difficult in SoFlo....weeks of waiting....at least when I had mine...the guys at AIM welding moved me to the front of the line as a favor as they skiff was already opened on the production shop....

DC

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 9:08 PM, Lap it Up said:

It should be under a pie cover in the console

Thanks, yes it was! I have owned the boat over 11 years and would have bet you money there was not a pie hole cover in console area,  but I would have lost lol.  Black pie hole cover under two black battery trays.  

Sending unit looks 23 years old but don't see any obvious place its leaking.  Based on my last test, when leaking the boat was sitting still and not full of gas, would it even be possible to leak from sending unit in that situation?  

On 10/26/2023 at 12:58 PM, Poon Addict said:

Thanks.   Yes its an aluminum tank.  I have an access hatch in middle front compartment where I can see/access front end of gas tank, fill hose, gas line, and vent line.  And top end of tank looks in really good shape.  

Few pics I have taken, trying see better.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Your first two pictures, top photo looks like something ran down side of tank directly below black hose clean compared area next to it, photo 2 mid hose looks super clean directly below hose outlet compared to rest of photo, long shot million dollar question can you reach the hose in the photos? Tank is 23 years old. Hope it helps!

• 3 months later...