How is your fishing?

Tender

Just curious how everyone's inshore fishing has been the past 3-5 years. Yes we could talk about hay days of fishing many years ago but I'm speaking more so to how things are going in the last 3-5. I feel like I noticed a marked decline ~2-3 years ago and continually declining since, despite closures. My primary haunts are Charlotte Harbor, Northern Pine Island and the northern Everglades.

A consistent Redfish bit seems to be non existent for me, snook while still down has seemed to have fared better and Trout has seemed to be affected the least. Am I alone? Is it all in my head? Have I forgotten how to fish? Or am I just being a whiny b****? Anyways tight lines all.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:09 PM, Tender said:

Just curious how everyone's inshore fishing has been the past 3-5 years. Yes we could talk about hay days of fishing many years ago but I'm speaking more so to how things are going in the last 3-5. I feel like I noticed a marked decline ~2-3 years ago and continually declining since, despite closures. My primary haunts are Charlotte Harbor, Northern Pine Island and the northern Everglades.

A consistent Redfish bit seems to be non existent for me, snook while still down has seemed to have fared better and Trout has seemed to be affected the least. Am I alone? Is it all in my head? Have I forgotten how to fish? Or am I just being a whiny b****? Anyways tight lines all.

Totally agree. I fish Charlotte Harbor, a real decline in activity.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, fishing in Englewood has been terrible for months. My wife and I have been fishing Englewood since 1979 and we have always caught fish (Snook and Redfish). But, starting about August of 2023, the keeper fish have disappeared. We haven't caught a keeper Redfish or Snook since July, 2023. One day I decided not to fish, but instead to use the trolling motor and just look for mature fish. I spent several hours for two days, just looking for keepers. Well, I only saw one mature Snook and lots of Rat Reds. The sad part of this mystery is that I don't have an answer. In 40 years of fishing the same area, I can't remember not being able to see or catch mature Snook and Redfish. 

Totally agree with the fishing. My son paddle boards or kayaks around the harbor, no reds but lots of snook and keeper size but will not hit anything thrown. Seems Bulls or Turtle Bay are holding but nothing like it use to be in quantity or size. Bait is also hard to come by and size is small. Been this way the last three years or so. Very few Tarpon also. It’s sad.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...