fall fishing

johnd

haven't posted in a while - been fishing local waters (Banana River mostly) last few weeks in the early mornings.  A bit surprising, Sept/Oct my favorite time to sight fish Redfish, toss topwater where Snook and Trout are blowing up on finger mullet.  Just a great time of year.    Been a bit unusual this fall.  Mullet run happening on the beaches, but not so much in the river.  Topwater bite has been nil.  Instead tossing 4lb test with little Voodoo plastic shrimp along the mangroves and catching a bunch of juvenile fish.  12" Redfish, 12" Snook, small to 16" Trout. Have seen some slot Redfish swim right by my boat - not eating, just swimming by to let me know they still exist.  After the rains water is very high.   Water quality has improved!  Clarity of course, but more important is there are very small patches of real seagrass starting to grow.  Maybe, just maybe, the IRL is beginning to rebound.    

Seeing and catching a lot of young fish - there is hope!