A typical example - Minn Kota vs. Power Pole

whichwaysup

I bought my I-Pilot in 2019.   That's 4 years ago.  Yesterday, my remote went crazy, almost killing a trip on the water (I always knew I needed a back up remote!).   Luckily, I could get it to spot lock, but all other functions were DOA.   Very aggravating, but we managed some nice fish so it wasn't a total bust.

Got home, did some research, and found out that my remote was slowly descending into the fatal "RF error" zone - which it has now fully hit.   It's a known software issue and it can't be fixed.   MK has info on it on their website.   

Facing spending 200 on a new remote, I figured I'd call them to see if there was any alternative or even some acknowledgment that since this is a known issue, that they might even discount a replacement remote.   

Nope.   Tech support walked through the issue, acknowledged that it was fairly common and was a software issue.   He was happy to send me on my way to buy another new remote from them, but offered no discount, support, or alternatives.   

In fairness, that's what they said they would do.

Contrast that with Power pole service.   Heck, even if they'd discounted a new remote I would have been happy, but Power pole sent me a new one free of charge.   

When it comes time to replace my I-pilot, I'll look around for alternatives.     

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

I bought my I-Pilot in 2019.   That's 4 years ago.  Yesterday, my remote went crazy, almost killing a trip on the water (I always knew I needed a back up remote!).   Luckily, I could get it to spot lock, but all other functions were DOA.   Very aggravating, but we managed some nice fish so it wasn't a total bust.

Got home, did some research, and found out that my remote was slowly descending into the fatal "RF error" zone - which it has now fully hit.   It's a known software issue and it can't be fixed.   MK has info on it on their website.   

Facing spending 200 on a new remote, I figured I'd call them to see if there was any alternative or even some acknowledgment that since this is a known issue, that they might even discount a replacement remote.   

Nope.   Tech support walked through the issue, acknowledged that it was fairly common and was a software issue.   He was happy to send me on my way to buy another new remote from them, but offered no discount, support, or alternatives.   

In fairness, that's what they said they would do.

Contrast that with Power pole service.   Heck, even if they'd discounted a new remote I would have been happy, but Power pole sent me a new one free of charge.   

When it comes time to replace my I-pilot, I'll look around for alternatives.     

Wow….I just sent you a PM about a MK remote, and then saw this. JJ

My mk remote starting acting funny on a recent trip. Started with delayed response on some of the buttons. Then some buttons became unresponsive or were enacting the wrong function. Took it apart and had some corrosion on the board from a leaky battery. Cleaned the board with alcohol and a toothbrush. Got some odd responses during the process including the RF error. After a few tries of taking it apart and making sure it was completely dry, it started working again. 

My point is I'm wondering if the RF error is possibly caused by shorting between traces and sometimes fixable by cleaning the corrosion and drying it out. Might be worth a shot. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NCTribute said:

So a PP Move is $3,200 more than a Terrova, or $1,700 more than the Quest Terrova, but a $200 remote is a deal breaker?

My comments were based on the realization that today a remote, tomorrow a motherboard, the next time a brushed motor.  Eventually two motors over the lifespan of one. . . And a lot of aggravation.  

but no, you are right. At this point 2k vs 5k is a bridge too far.  I suspect that chasm will narrow. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got an interesting PM asking if I used duracells last round when this happened.  Turns out I did.  Apparently, this member has had similar issues with Duracells.   Just a heads up if you have any in your remotes, might be prudent to replace with something else.  No idea if this is a real pattern, but easy enough to swap out and save yourself $200.