Oyster Rash - What would you do?

Ketchafew

I appreciate everyone's reply's and if I were to keep the boat I wouldn't do anything.  I would end up adding more scratches to it I'm sure.  The issue is that all the interest from potential buyers so far are from folks that are not skinny water skiff types and it's turning them off.  I agree with whichwaysup that the paint is not the way to go.  Can anyone recommend a gelcoat guy in the Charleston, SC area that I could consult with?  

5 hours ago, Ketchafew said:

I appreciate everyone's reply's and if I were to keep the boat I wouldn't do anything.  I would end up adding more scratches to it I'm sure.  The issue is that all the interest from potential buyers so far are from folks that are not skinny water skiff types and it's turning them off.  I agree with whichwaysup that the paint is not the way to go.  Can anyone recommend a gelcoat guy in the Charleston, SC area that I could consult with?  

To do this properly, here is what needs to take place....

1.) Fuel tank will need to emptied

2.) Everything in the skiff needs to be removed

3.) The boat needs to be put on a rack or something which will allow the fiberglass mechanic to access the hull at an angle that will allow him to prep the hull, which will include large amounts of fill and sanding.

4.) then it will need to shot with several coats of gelcoat most likely up to the water level at a minimum

5.) I would suspect you are looking at a minimum of $3-5K for this work...

I wish you the best in your outcome....

DC 

So looking around on line for white filler I found this. There are others available. Your hull does look pretty nasty. I agree a bad repair might be worse than none at all but I do not think your potential buyers are telling you that’s the case. I think a smooth bottom even if you can see the repair might not turn as many people off as you think. I do think if you pay a shop to repair it you might as well discount the boat 5 grand and let it go. It’s money gone either way. 
 I am currently restoring an old Master Angler. Sanding the bottom it is clear to me this hull has a second layer of gel coat and is still eat up with oyster scratches. I am filling them and yes the entire hull will be prepped and painted. The paint option only sounds like a terrible idea because the rest of your gel coat looks really great. I think some white filler would be a good compromise between spending too much on the boat and doing nothing at all.

https://www.bottompaintstore.com/Gelcoat-Repair-Putty?campaignid=17601250206&adgroupid=&creative=&matchtype=&network=x&device=m&keyword=&gad=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD59unLS36FWhZFdxkfeZ7cph04wi&gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEiwm4tCTsirHj4iGmmTohFBoZn6Yr4-2BI350Z78hWWuaAzAHeLsDhoCsWUQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

So looking around on line for white filler I found this. There are others available. Your hull does look pretty nasty. I agree a bad repair might be worse than none at all but I do not think your potential buyers are telling you that’s the case. I think a smooth bottom even if you can see the repair might not turn as many people off as you think. I do think if you pay a shop to repair it you might as well discount the boat 5 grand and let it go. It’s money gone either way. 
 I am currently restoring an old Master Angler. Sanding the bottom it is clear to me this hull has a second layer of gel coat and is still eat up with oyster scratches. I am filling them and yes the entire hull will be prepped and painted. The paint option only sounds like a terrible idea because the rest of your gel coat looks really great. I think some white filler would be a good compromise between spending too much on the boat and doing nothing at all.

https://www.bottompaintstore.com/Gelcoat-Repair-Putty?campaignid=17601250206&adgroupid=&creative=&matchtype=&network=x&device=m&keyword=&gad=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD59unLS36FWhZFdxkfeZ7cph04wi&gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEiwm4tCTsirHj4iGmmTohFBoZn6Yr4-2BI350Z78hWWuaAzAHeLsDhoCsWUQAvD_BwE

I have recommended this product numerous times on this forum. It works!

This place makes the gel coat repair for mavericks. Give them you HIN and they willmake you a quart that will match your hull color. I was told to order the ones with 'wax' because that can be put on to fill cracks and such. You can fill spider crack and old holes you have drilled as well.

They are very nice so call and talk to them about what you need.

https://minicraft.com/

7 minutes ago, lurem said:

This place makes the gel coat repair for mavericks. Give them you HIN and they willmake you a quart that will match your hull color. I was told to order the ones with 'wax' because that can be put on to fill cracks and such. You can fill spider crack and old holes you have drilled as well.

They are very nice so call and talk to them about what you need.

https://minicraft.com/

Good information! 

9 hours ago, fin-addict said:

I know, I’m odd man out. Don’t see anything wrong with a good filler job and glass if needed and paint where needed. Seen excellent paint jobs that look like gel. Been done forever. Just be honest to buyers. JMO.

if you are going in that direction....be sure to have your before and after pics for buyers...

dc

• Like 1