Remotes and maintenance question

whichwaysup

Sorry for the multiple threads, but didnt' want to confuse topics.   Question for you electrical engineering types - 

I've recently gone through three remotes for my Ipilot as well as my Power pole (1 Ipilote remote, 2 for PP).   In all cases, the boards of these remotes went bad on me.   PP was awesome, as always and both times sent me new remotes.   Minn Kota was happy to take my money for a new one.   

Either way, the PP remotes are 119, and the MInn Kota remotes are $200.   That's a lot of money if this keeps up.   Marine environments and electronics are not a good combination so it's likely to happen again . . . 

So, question is - is there something I can be doing for the boards of these remotes to better protect them?  Spray them with CorrosionX, grease them up with Dialectric grease, or something else?    I asked the PP tech and he didn't have any suggestions, but there has to be something that can be done.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Whichway ,

I’ve never done anything like that to a pc board remotes just open them up check batteries, if battery terminals need cleaning scotchbrite and a little WD or similar product, keep them dry but on waterfowl motorized decoys some have PC boards they get a WD 40 bath at the end of the year and its been working out for a number of years now. Just checked the toolbox and de battered couple of meters that we’re getting ready to go south.

• Like 1

My best guess on the trolling motor remote is to store them in a safe non-impact place when running/trailering. It is my suspicion that hanging lanyard on throttle, or leaving in bottom of hatch, and then bouncing around all over the place, causes the hardware failure that leads to the dreaded minn kota RF error, which is a kiss of death. I’ve had good luck contacting Johnson controls/minn kota and getting them to replace by naming that error in particular. 

as far as power poles go, never had issues before but on new skiff was working fine, switched batteries as peace of mind on new boat and suddenly wouldn’t work or pair. It took getting the battery in a very specific location on the contacts for the leds to blink on and work. A little scotch brite and dielectric grease could help here for sure. I know on old trolling motor remotes we would put a dime in the battery compartment that gave pressure that made the connection better!

hope this helps

• Like 1