Baystar Hydraulic Steering

Tails Up

Thought I would see if anyone has run into this issue.  I have Baystar Hydraulic Steering on my Maverick w/Yamaha T60.  It turns to both sides however when turning to the left there is no definitive stop.  With slight pressure you can continue to turn the wheel. While running, I can gradually continue to turn the wheel to the left with no change of forward direction.  It does turn but only have applying a quicker turn.

I have bled the system and have no air in the line and the helm is full.  No visible fluid leaks.   No issues turn the wheel to the right.

Ideas.  TIA

16 hours ago, Tails Up said:

Thought I would see if anyone has run into this issue.  I have Baystar Hydraulic Steering on my Maverick w/Yamaha T60.  It turns to both sides however when turning to the left there is no definitive stop.  With slight pressure you can continue to turn the wheel. While running, I can gradually continue to turn the wheel to the left with no change of forward direction.  It does turn but only have applying a quicker turn.

I have bled the system and have no air in the line and the helm is full.  No visible fluid leaks.   No issues turn the wheel to the right.

Ideas.  TIA

what year?

Sounds like one of the washers broken....

Be very very careful and do not run it until you get it fixed if it fails in a curve....you are in the risk for a catastrophic crash....I had the same issue and it was "clicking" during a trip and suddenly failed on a curve...thank goodness I was only a few miles from the ramp and I could limp in....

You can send it in for a rebuild....

There is a rebuild company in Sarasota.....it's a simple fix...you just disconnect the helm unit and re-attach and bleed it....lots of Youtube videos....

I had a similar issue several years ago. If you are handy, you can probably fix it yourself. The bottom half of the helm is full of valves and ball-bearings. For some reason they attract something similar to dirt and black oil. I have no idea where this mixture of black oil and dirt comes from, but it was stuck to everything. It sticks to the valves and bearings and prevents them from sealing. So, fluid bypasses the valves and that creates to issues you have.  

I disassembled the bottom half of the helm and cleaned everything with a small wire wheel attached to a Dremmil tool. Put it back together and it worked fine for several years.