Fiberglassing Console Question

Fsu11

Im currently taking on a project of redoing the face of my console on my Hewes Redfisher 18. Im going to have an acrylic panel made gloss black to cover the dash. But first I want to patch some old gauge holes and also reinforce where the helm mounts too. Ive got an understanding of how to fiberglass with chop strand and 1708 biaxial which I plan to layer but I’m wondering if I should put some kind of core material in between the layers? Does anyone have any suggestions on something I can use that wont cost me $200 for material when I only need a 4x4” square?

IMG_9271.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Does the face of the console have coring now, other than behind  the shifter area? I think you would be fine to lay the galas up to the thickness of the opening and be fine. 

It looks like the whole face of the console had coremat between it. I just wasnt sure how strong fiberglass would be once it layered in?

I have used the silver foil insulation panels that they sell at HD or L, just peel the foil off. The insulation is closed cell and will fill the voids and any gaps fill with fiberglass. Then I typically ground back 2 inches into the original glass from the edges and apply the matt or 1708 to ensure a strong bond to the base material.

55 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

It would likely be plenty strong if you tie it in front and back. Using some extra glass and resin might be easier  than finding alternative filler. I am guessing your are not close to Savannah. I have some 1/2 inch foam core stuff i cut out of the floor. 

In Jax but yeah thats the plan is to glass it from the back and the front, from what im hearing across the board I think im going to be fine with chopstrand and 1708 layered

• Like 1

I went ahead and used layers of 1.5oz chop strand and 1708 biaxial glass without a core material. I simply used more layers of 1708 until it was thick enough and it feels very strong now just need the acrylic panel to come in but while i wait im cleaning up all the wiring for the console much easier job with the console removed from the boat

• Like 3

17 hours ago, HoneyB said:

It’s probably stronger there than anywhere else on the face of the console ! 

i like to think so, that 1708 biaxial is no joke layed up, not sure if it makes a difference but i tried to rotate the direction of the fibers between layers to make it stronger as well. I will post a picture once I get the acrylic panel mounted up and everything finished

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...