Simrad nss12 vs Lowrance HDS9

Headhunter

Looking to put a 12 inch machine on the Maverick. I currently have a Lowrance HDS9 on the boat. Some of the sale prices right now on Navico with their new Pro line out are pretty hot. The lowrance has served me well but their 12 inch machine will not fit but for another few bucks I can go Simrad and it might. I looked at the specs and as far as performance is concerned the HDS resolution is 1280x720 and the simrad is 1280x800. Everything else looks about the same but the Simrad may fit. The lenco trim switched stick up to far for the lowrance to fit. Does anyone know the real differences are like processor speed and how the Simrad does in sunlight? Any other thoughts are appreciated.

PS I don't care about the knob.

I have an HDS 12 Carbon on my Pathfinder and a Simrad EVO3 NSS9 on my Beavertail. Both do well in sunlight. Neither are flush mounted, the Simrad was and I moved to on top of the console. Flush mounted units are much less functional being behind the steering wheel and so far out of line of sight when driving. Do not think I would get too caught up on processor speed, if they are newer versions you will be fine. Have used FMT on both with zero issues.

From what I understand it’s processors in Simrad like NC Tribune said, standard mapping techs have stated this also. All have done well in what I want them to do in sunlight with the Carbon being a bit better in sun light, I guess find the one that fits your boat the way you want it. I’m sure it makes a difference when you add radar, FLIR video input, weather reporting where the better processor comes into play 

These units are nothing more than a  computer. You look at the processor/chip and try to understand performance and speed that it works. 

Simrad plays games with the Lowrance and Simrad brands to keep us guessing.

Cadillac or Chevrolet,  you can add enough extras to get Cadillac frills on a Chevrolet  but it is not a Cadillac 

A new Lowrance may be as good as the simrad until the simrad is updated which follows fairly close 

Unless you are using radar and auto pilot, you will not come close to maxing out the processor. For a flats skiff, any higher end unit that has been made in the last 5 years has more processor capability than you will ever need.

It is like stressing over whether a car will go 140 mph or 160 mph, when the max speed limit is 75 mph, non-issue.

BPS/Cabelas has the Lowrance HDS Live 12 (HDS PRO is the most current model) on sale for $1,999.97 starting on Nov 20th, including the 3in1 transducer. Originally a $3,450 unit. Likely other stores will have similar sales.

Looks like the best price on a Simrad EVO3S is ~$2,200 without a transducer.

Oh darn, this thread made me have to get out of my chair and go downstairs to look at my favorite skiff. 2018  18hpxv nss evo3 12” fits the console. They did have to dremel out a little piece of the cover so it could fit over the trim tab switches to get it on and off. As far as processing goes, I’m no computer whiz but you start adding fmt imagery chips and I can tell you my nss works way better and faster than my old go9. 

IMG_4570.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

Headhunter, curious about which aspect of the plotter you care about most - the mapping or the sonar aspects?   That may be the bigger driver of your decision.   If mapping, I'm out of my element, but if finding fish and/or bottom features, there are other considerations.   Things are different up here in NC, but when my Lowrance HDS G3 died, I had to consider all brands.   It became pretty obvious that -from a sonar use stand point, H'bird crushed the other major brands in side scan, Garmin with livescope, and Lowrance was sort of good at everything.   I'm always amazed at my buddy's H'bird.  He has all three on his boat (he's a bass guy at heart) so I get to see all three looking at the same terrain.   

Livescope has been a major game changer for me, and 'bird and lowrance have a long way to go with their active sonar to catch up.

Like I said, I don't use mine for mapping much, but I do like the Active Captain app that Garmin uses.   Not sure the rest of their mapping software is as strong as the brands you are looking at.

I'm glad I looked at this thread.  I was going to upgrade my GPS from a 9" Simrad NSS evo3 to a 12" after the holidays.  Saw Headhunters comment about the GPS store having them at a lower price than usual.  Originally $3,699 now sale price of $2,299.  Darn good deal, I ordered one this morning.  I have been buying my electronics from them for a while now, and am surprised I didn't get a black Friday email notification from them.  Oh well, Christmas coming early for me.

I'll have my current 9" display in the classifieds soon.

I ran my FMT on both a Lorance HDS unit and now my new Simrad NSS12.  Night and Day difference in functionality.  Love the zoom knob.  Don't know the unit that well but I'm primarily using for FMT.  Lots of $ invested in that thing just for some cheat sheets in the glades but wouldn't change a thing.  Simrad for the win.