Leaf Springs vs Torsion Axle!

DavisIslander

2004 Continental AS1830.  Had a recent blow out, which damaged a bunch of stuff (axle, hub, etc, $$$$, and more!).  We pay to play so it's okay.

Part of the repair is a new axle and leaf springs and as I'm looking at parts and such, is there a benefit with going the torsion route.  I know a hard pothole or curb bends them a little which wears out your tires (on the inside).

Maybe next time when I'm in the mood for spending bunches of money!

On 11/17/2023 at 12:55 PM, DavisIslander said:

is there a benefit with going the torsion route. 

yes, less rust compared to the springs which have large surface area for rust to form.

sounds like you got good service for a 8 year old axel which was springs....yep, a blow out can be costly...

you might want to file an insurance claim for the trailer....given the $ amount for your repairs...you can definitely bring your trailer to almost new...be sure to do a re-wire while you are making the repairs and the skiff is off the trailer....it's not expensive and saves you lots of head-aches along the way forward.

DC

I have a 2008 21 Master Angler with an Ameratrail tandem axle trailer. I just traveled from Tampa to St. Cloud and had Ameratrail replace both torsion axles, hubs, and brakes. After a lot of research I decided to have Ameratrail do the work, and am very happy I did. Their customer service and work were both outstanding. Both axles, rotors, caliper brackets, and brake pads were shot. I ended up with 2 new torsion axles with new vortex hubs, new stainless rotors, new stainless caliper brackets, new brake pads, and new actuator. The 225 stainless steel Kodiak calipers are 5 years old but were determined to be working fine, so those weren't replaced. They also did some minor trailer light replacement and wiring, and proactively replaced a few nuts and bolts that were rusted and causing the trailer fenders to be loose, and added some non-skid to the steps in front of and on the back side of each fender. Total cost was $4,200. Some may call me crazy, but the peace of mind I now have is worth the money spent in my opinion. I dealt with Bill,  the service manager, from beginning to end. I scheduled the work while I was going to be in Orlando for a conference for 2 1/2 days. I drove over, dropped it off, and it was ready when my conference ended. I can't say enough about the great experience I had at Ameratrail. Prior to making my decision to let Ameratrail do the work, I took it to T.A. Mahoneys in Tampa. Great people, and also great service. They were quoting me approximately $5000 - $6000 and suggested I buy a new Continental trailer instead, for approximately $6000. Even the guy at T.A. Mahoneys agreed the Continental trailer would not ride as nice and fit the Maverick Master Angler as nice as the Ameratrail. I know this is long-winded, but when I was in the process of deciding whether to have the trailer repaired or buy a new trailer I couldn't find a lot of information on this forum and/or all the others, especially regarding price. I want to help my fellow MBG forum members as much as possible. By the way, Ameratrail gave me a soft quote in the range of $8000 - $9000 for a new tandem axle with all the bells and whistles. And by the way, although I have never had a trailer with leaf springs, the new torsion axles make for a nice comfortable towing experience. I hope this helps. 

• Like 2

Last year or so I  needed to redo axles and springs on me tandem axle trailer  under an 05 2200 TE.

I decided to go with  torsion rather than  springs as I  had redone springs in the  past.

The difference in the way the trailer tows, tracks and handles is unbelievable. 

If I  have a choice it will always be torsion