Flamingo 16th-18th report

So we slepted in a little letting all that rain clear some Thursday morning.  Made It down and checked in to the houseboat.  Set to a/c to ice box cold and headed out.  It was probably like 9:00 am.  Ran out shark and headed south a bit stopping heat and there.  Was pretty slow until we hit a new area that produced 3 snook, a baby Goliath and a red.  It’s been a little since we caught a red so it was a nice sight.  The weather kepted getting better and better as the day progressed and had a beautiful ride back to the docks.  Filled up the boat at 6.65 a gallon and picked up some ice for day 2.

Day two was the best day weather wise.    Missed a red in mud bay and put 2 snapper in the box. I’ve never fished mud bay so it was different and found a few areas I’d like to go back to when it cools some more.  Water temp was 75 in the morning before warming up to 80 late day.  Headed out little shark and the tarpon where everywhere busting on mullet.  I chased them around along with 3 other boats and not one of us jumped any.  Spent a good 2 hours doing this as I really wanted to land one.  I believe they were just too focused on the bait balls or at least that’s what I want to think.  lol Annette’s brother was coming in so we headed back early to meet up and show them around.  

Day 3 was a windy day.  Complete opposite as the day before.  We put in on the outside and pretty much got beat up all day.  Lost a slot snook to a shark first thing in the morning which stung a little.  Something needs to be done.  I mean you pull up to a spot and the sharks are there in 5 minutes if that.  ***!!!

We finally found a spot out of the wind with clean water and landed 4 more redfish and a 26 inch snook.  One of the reds I caught had to be horsed in and had shark bites on it when landed.  Luckily it was in the belly area so the meat was perfect.  Moved again to target a few trout for dinner and landed 7.  All in all, it was a great day but we had to work at finding clean water and by the time I made it back to the dock, my crew and I had wind burn to last for the next week.  lol 

but f you ever thought about doing a trip like this, do it!  You learn so much more going back to back days and can really explore.  Ended up with 4 new spots so very happy!

• Like 3

Great report... Redfish, I've found over the years, are just harder for a shark to bite through so they at least have a chance of surviving a shark bite.  Snook on the other hand with much lighter scales rarely ever survive a single bite...  In places where sharks are active I tell my anglers to bear down and risk breaking a fish off - to get it to my skiff in one piece... I usually make a point of moving after each fish when those toothy critters are active... You have a chance of landing one fish - but try for a second at the same spot -and all you end up doing is feeding the sharks..

Believe it or not - I've come to the conclusion that our "catch and release" ethic is a big part of our shark problems these days... Sharks have a very hard time catching a healthy fish... That's not the case any fish that's been recently caught and released - making them very easy targets for hungry sharks.. I'd like to be wrong about this - and can't say I have any good solutions except that one fish rule - and simply moving the moment you lose a fish to any shark along the coast of the 'glades.. 

2 hours ago, lemaymiami said:

Great report... Redfish, I've found over the years, are just harder for a shark to bite through so they at least have a chance of surviving a shark bite.  Snook on the other hand with much lighter scales rarely ever survive a single bite...  In places where sharks are active I tell my anglers to bear down and risk breaking a fish off - to get it to my skiff in one piece... I usually make a point of moving after each fish when those toothy critters are active... You have a chance of landing one fish - but try for a second at the same spot -and all you end up doing is feeding the sharks..

Believe it or not - I've come to the conclusion that our "catch and release" ethic is a big part of our shark problems these days... Sharks have a very hard time catching a healthy fish... That's not the case any fish that's been recently caught and released - making them very easy targets for hungry sharks.. I'd like to be wrong about this - and can't say I have any good solutions except that one fish rule - and simply moving the moment you lose a fish to any shark along the coast of the 'glades.. 

we actually took a small red and put it in the live well to realease somewhere else so it had a chance.  Worked out pretty well!