Live well plug

John B

Hey guys ....... need help with a source for the bottom plug in 2001 RF 16 livewell. The boat came with some old crummy plugs that I've been making do with.  The rubber is dry rotted and cracked and now will not keep seawater out when I'm using the livewell as a fish box.  The plug seems like it needs to be 1 1/8" ? but these old plugs have no markings.  1" plug is too loose and 1 1/4" will not go into the tube.

Thanks,  jb

T-H Marine is sold out of these push in plugs.   I bought a couple of 1 1/4" expansion type plugs ......... filed the end of the threads in order to remove the 'squash' washer and disassemble.

The hole through the rubber part of the plug is a tight fit on a 5/16" wood dowel ........ put the dowel piece in cordless drill and spun the plug applying sandpaper to slightly reduce the diameter.  Now fits the 1 1/8" livewell drain ( as well as cockpit scuppers ) perfectly and appears to form a good seal.

jb

• 2 months later...

Update and FYI - the TH Marine 1 1/8" push plugs must be designed for a fitting that is 1 1/8" O.D.  - I ordered a couple of these and the diameter of the the part of the plug that provides the seal is around 1" or slightly less - no go for the RF scuppers and livewell drain.

jb

• 2 weeks later...