1/2 Ton Tow Vehicle (Truck)

rubble

I've got to pick up a truck before the end of the year for my business.  Plan on using it as a daily driver so I'm looking at 1/2 ton.  Almost pulled the trigger on a Ram 2500 and then a 3500SRW but really don't need that as a daily driver.  Are any of you folks towing your bay boats with 1/2 ton trucks and if so, how do they tow over the road?  I would be towing a 2000V so I'm on the lighter side.  Can't feel it behind my 2500 durmax or 3500 Cummins.  Looking at the Ram Laramie 1500 due to ride and amenities.  The Hemi seems like a good engine.  Small gas tank though.  Seeing what you all have found to be the best option for daily drive and towing on occasion. 

I pull my 2200TE with a 2016 RAM 1500 Laramie crew cab shortbed,  it pulls it just fine. Have brakes on all four hubs on the trailer, so stopping is not an issue. Gas mileage is fair 13-15 mpg on the highway, so am stopping for gas about every 300 miles. Been driving a 1500 since 2009 and have only had one issue, water pump replacement (shaft seal was weeping) under warranty on my first one.

I tow my 2200TRS with a 2018 tundra. Can’t even tell I’m towing except for the fuel economy which is line with the above comments but prolly stays closer to the 13mpg. 4x4 tundras are never bought for mpg. 
 If I was shopping for a new truck I would be looking at a GMC AT4 with the Baby duraMax.  I know a couple of guys with them and they are well pleased. 

1 hour ago, fishmanjj said:

I tow a Pathfinder 2200 with 2021 GMC 1500 V8 5.3 L , no brakes on tandem Ameritrail aluminum trailer and never had any stopping issues. Many trips to Florida and South Carolina from South Georgia. Highway gas mileage is around 20mpg not towing and 14mpg towing at 65 mph.

Georgia requires brakes on all trailers above 3,000 lbs.

Georgia Law (§40-8-50(d)) requires brakes on all wheels of trailers over 3,000 lbs. Gross
Weight (actual loaded weight).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCTribute said:

Georgia requires brakes on all trailers above 3,000 lbs.

Georgia Law (§40-8-50(d)) requires brakes on all wheels of trailers over 3,000 lbs. Gross
Weight (actual loaded weight).

My boat / motor and Ameritrail trailer was bought new in Marco Island Florida in 2008. I’ve never had anyone question brakes, nor have I ever had any issues with thousands of miles trailering. Apparently in 2008 either the rules were different or Florida has a different set of rules. I can’t imagine any authorized dealer selling a rig that does not comply to the law.  Either way, I’m not adding brakes on the next axle changes.

My previous Pathfinder was a 2400 and the trailer with it did have brakes. Not sure what the weight difference is on the 24 vs 22. The 24 had a 250 hp and my 22 has a 150 hp. Anyway, thanks for the info. JJ

• Like 1

We traveled down to FL and back with boats over the years.  Our trailers aren’t tagged and we (KY-ians) don’t have brakes on trailers.  We were involved in an incident on 75 just above McDonough, GA and the Trooper put up a fuss about not having tags or brakes.  We apologized and said we had no idea because not required in KY.  Of course he said we aren’t in KY but he didn’t issue any citations or anything. 

• Like 1