2002 Pathfinder 2200v gelcoat flaking

Hooperdrivestheboat

Would love some advice here. Considering purchasing an 02 2200v with some of the gel coat flaking. I know some of the flaking is age related and probably cosmetic but there’s some near the drainage hole that worries me because water would be sitting right on it. I’m also wondering why it would flake like that in that pattern. Any thoughts on if it’s worth it to proceed or tell if anything else is going on underneath? Other than that she checks out really well and is priced competitively. Seller says she runs in the 40s/low50’s. 

IMG_8787.png

IMG_8788.png

IMG_8794.png

IMG_8795.png

1. Strange to so the chipping at the drain area and inside the lid drain area. Has the seller given you any info as to why. At the floor drain it looks like something may have been bouncing around there like an anchor. I had a 03 2200v with no chipping at all. The small stress cracks more due to age and is normal to some extent. Where your are seem to be in areas that should not be. Just do a complete inspeaction to be on the safe side. Hope you’re getting a good price so thes areas can be corrected the 2200v is an awesome sled. It won’t disappoint you at all. Finn 😀👍

First, be sure that is a 2002.  I have a 2002 V and the fittings around the drain hole are SS steel.  The round cracks are normal, I have a few.  The others are chips that I agree looks like something hit it and chipped the gelcoat.  Poke around and see if the glass is dry or soaked.  If you can get a glass guy to look at it, I would and get an estimate to fix them.  Having said all of that I would be more concerned about what the hull looks like.  Some cracking there is going to be normal too.  

Some good news is they are some of the earlier hulls and are some of the lightest they made before people started whining about some of the cracks in the gelcoat and they made them with a lot more glass and thus heavier.  

Hopes this helps, good luck!!

At 20 plus years old you may never find what caused the cracks. I would say the chips around the drain probably are something best the area up all at one time. I bet some guy was pissed when he stoped and found what he had done. The ones around what I assume to be the leaning post almost looks like a patch as if the leaning post may have been changed out early on. Those same ones could just be just the gel coat cracking in a nice little circle. 
 All in all the boat is likely structurally fine. The question to you is if you buy the boat are you going to spend the money to repair the gel coat. If you are you can probably count on adding at least 2 grand to the purchase price. I personally would look for the boat I couldn’t pass up rather than settling for one. That being said the one you can’t pass up means something different to a lot of people. If you can live with the cracks and you know you can not find a nicer 22 footer for the same money that might be the boat for you.. But I bet you can find a better one! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chief5130 said:

First, be sure that is a 2002.  I have a 2002 V and the fittings around the drain hole are SS steel.  The round cracks are normal, I have a few.  The others are chips that I agree looks like something hit it and chipped the gelcoat.  Poke around and see if the glass is dry or soaked.  If you can get a glass guy to look at it, I would and get an estimate to fix them.  Having said all of that I would be more concerned about what the hull looks like.  Some cracking there is going to be normal too.  

Some good news is they are some of the earlier hulls and are some of the lightest they made before people started whining about some of the cracks in the gelcoat and they made them with a lot more glass and thus heavier.  

Hopes this helps, good luck!!

Chief, my 03 had the ss at drains. My brothers 02 did not. Had white nes.