Cutting the Console

Headhunter

Finally getting to install the 12 inch Simrad on the maverick. The bottom cut is real tight, I have about 3/8 of an inch to the radius where the console slopes. Any suggestions on what type of tool to use to make the cut? I do not have a compressor so it has to be an electric tool. You know its got to be straight!

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Yes sir I have a suggestion. Use an oscillating tool.  I have been using a bosh variable speed unit while working on my project. They make a blade that is round on the front  and is very easy to start a line and hold it on the line. Obviously I would tape the area off with painters tape first. The oscillating tools are made so that you can turn the blade from straight on to 90 degrees to the side. I have used jig saws and even side grinders with cutting blades. The oscillating tool is the best I have found for the work you want to do. 

• Like 1

The oscillating saws work nice but you must go slow. Corded is better than battery if you have to do a lot.

If using jlg saws look into a reverse cutting blade. It will reduce chipping as it cuts on the down stroke. Still need to use tape.

When laying out the pattern pay attention to the corner radius and cut them first with a whole saw. This will save a lot of trimming and fit headaches. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Finally getting to install the 12 inch Simrad on the maverick. The bottom cut is real tight, I have about 3/8 of an inch to the radius where the console slopes. Any suggestions on what type of tool to use to make the cut? I do not have a compressor so it has to be an electric tool. You know its got to be straight!

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Can you post a picture of the console? And what you are up against?

I agree with the oscillating saws...as well, a Dremel is good for corners but requires a steady hand.

DC

jig saw works fine.... needs some clearance to work due to its foot print and drill the corners so yo dont have to deal with trying to cut the corners.  Cut out a large hole to put in a glove box in my old 20' Pathfinder, I was surprised how thick it was a bit over 1/2".  Had to move the switch panel out of the way to get clearance for the jig saw... air saw wouldnt have required that but I didnt have air at the time

100_1857.JPG

How do you guys hold the oscillating tool? I have one that I used when repairing home hurricane damage, but it is a ‘free hand’ tool’ than seems like it would be tricky to use on a console.

I have used an air tool, Dremel and jig saw on a console and find the jig saw is the easiest to hold and guide. Air tool was a bit too aggressive and the Dremel is also a ‘free hand’ tool that is difficult to find something to brace against to use.

Maybe I am just doing it wrong.

Yes it is free hand but very easy to control and honestly does not tend to want to walk as bad as the jig saw. And as I stated before and has been repeated the round blade allows you to hold the tool in positing while running the cut. And you can rotate the blade to fit the area you are working on. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

18 hours ago, NCTribute said:

How do you guys hold the oscillating tool? I have one that I used when repairing home hurricane damage, but it is a ‘free hand’ tool’ than seems like it would be tricky to use on a console.

I have used an air tool, Dremel and jig saw on a console and find the jig saw is the easiest to hold and guide. Air tool was a bit too aggressive and the Dremel is also a ‘free hand’ tool that is difficult to find something to brace against to use.

Maybe I am just doing it wrong.

I agree multitool made short work out of cutting the console on my HPX. I made my marks where I needed to cut used the multi tool, best method I found was to not cut the whole depth at once, score it and cut consecutively deeper and deeper until your through or almost through. Made my cuts cleaner and more straight as the blade had a path to follow each pass.

Ultimately unless you are significantly off the flange on the GPS will usually cover any slight errors. Don't over think it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to give me some tips on this. I truly believe that this is what this forum is about. No BS, just owners wanting to help other owners.

I made my cuts today and they came out great! The 12 inch Simrad was a shoe horn because the 9 inch machine was offset and I lost some height at the edge of the console but it all worked.

The oscillating saw was a game changer. Easy to use and easy to keep straight. As stated before blades are the key and while I didn't get that part right the cut came out fine. The pictures are showing just a dry fit. I have wiring to do, sun shield to trim and mounting holes to drill but the messy part is done.

I also added air vents on each side of the console made from TH Marine deck drains that I super glued screening too so critters could not get in. The Simrad installation book even talked about the need for ventilation around the unit to keep it cool. First time I ever read the directions!

Tight lines, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

simrad.jpg

air vent.jpg

console cut.jpg

• Like 3