Best Action Camera - DJI Action or GoPro Hero

rubble

Looking to start doing some content creating for my business.  Looking for a good action camera.  Seems like GoPro had the market cornered but I’ve been jusing a DJI drone and see that they have come out with a camera to compete with the GoPro.  Anyone have any insight on what platform may be the best to jump into?  Mounting accessories and options will be a big consideration.  Will have to use a chest mount as well as a pole mount for majority of the work.  May even need a helmet/head mount.  

On 12/9/2023 at 2:21 PM, rubble said:

Looking to start doing some content creating for my business.  Looking for a good action camera.  Seems like GoPro had the market cornered but I’ve been jusing a DJI drone and see that they have come out with a camera to compete with the GoPro.  Anyone have any insight on what platform may be the best to jump into?  Mounting accessories and options will be a big consideration.  Will have to use a chest mount as well as a pole mount for majority of the work.  May even need a helmet/head mount.  

Rubble,

I have the older model GoPro's...Hero 10....GoPro is the standard; however, DJI has really come on the market with a very good product.  I need to buy an additional camera for my photography business and it will be a DJI.  They seem to have been color range and stabilization.

Go on Youtube....many good comparison videos.

dc

I can’t say much for the camera’s by either company. My oldest son had go pro drone. It was the leader of the pack at the time. Fast forward several years and my youngest son has DJI drone. Not only is the drone far better so is the camera. The DJI drone can be so high in the air you can’t spot it and still send back very good images. It’s quite amazing to me. 

17 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I can’t say much for the camera’s by either company. My oldest son had go pro drone. It was the leader of the pack at the time. Fast forward several years and my youngest son has DJI drone. Not only is the drone far better so is the camera. The DJI drone can be so high in the air you can’t spot it and still send back very good images. It’s quite amazing to me. 

I own 4 DJI Drones for my business.....

Mini 2

Mini Pro 3

Mavic 1

Mavic 2 Pro

DC

Off topic but camera related.

My GF just got into the photography business by accident. Just purchase a Cannon Rebel T7 bundle. Did not want to spend a lot till she sees how things work out. Already have 5 shoots by word of mouth and her photos seen by others. Mostly family and newborn and some special events. Thanks for any feedback. I was thinking of a Nikon 7000d, older camera but very good I hear.

40 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

Off topic but camera related.

My GF just got into the photography business by accident. Just purchase a Cannon Rebel T7 bundle. Did not want to spend a lot till she sees how things work out. Already have 5 shoots by word of mouth and her photos seen by others. Mostly family and newborn and some special events. Thanks for any feedback. I was thinking of a Nikon 7000d, older camera but very good I hear.

I shoot Nikon...

I have a D7000, D700 and a D850.....

D7000 is a DX format camera but, has some good capabilities...from my D7000, I went to the D700 which is a Full Frame sensor and while only 12mp, has incredible capabilities....I just purchased the D850 a year or so ago and it's been a great investment.

The key, to be honest is not the Camera, but, the lenses....I shoot 100% Prime Lenses.....

Both Cannon and Nikon are great Cameras.....I checked and the T7 bundle has a 24MP censor...which is more than enough....and a 70-300 zoom.  Tell her to learn to shoot in Apeture mode so you can control the aperture focus and depth of field...

Have your GF join Flickr and they have some great information and groups for ideas.  There are some great seminars on B&H and Adorma on lighting etc.

I have 4 SB NIKON 900 and 910  flashes and I shoot with Pocket Wizards to control the various flashes when shoot people or specific types of photos for that require fill.

Happy to chat anytime....ping me if you'd like to set up a call with your GF...

DC

DC, was hoping you would chime in. Know you’re a long time camera buff and knows your stuff. I’ve been away from photography for several years. Last time was with am Olympus 35mm film camera for professional use. In the 70’s I was a weekend professional working for several studios taking weddings, Bar Mitzvahas and special events. Used a Hasselblad 500c with custom made Matador flash unit x2. Real know nothing about dig dslr cameras. Thanks much, fin/Dave 😀👍

she did take Photography back in college so she is familiar with it to some extent. Her daughter is a professional Photographer specializing in new borns in Va. Brother the same specializing in Architectural photography. Travels the world doing so as a freelance selling to many companies and hired by many including National Geographic and magazines. David Sunberg is his name. Guess it’s in her genes. 😂😂

13 hours ago, fin-addict said:

DC, was hoping you would chime in. Know you’re a long time camera buff and knows your stuff. I’ve been away from photography for several years. Last time was with am Olympus 35mm film camera for professional use. In the 70’s I was a weekend professional working for several studios taking weddings, Bar Mitzvahas and special events. Used a Hasselblad 500c with custom made Matador flash unit x2. Real know nothing about dig dslr cameras. Thanks much, fin/Dave 😀👍

she did take Photography back in college so she is familiar with it to some extent. Her daughter is a professional Photographer specializing in new borns in Va. Brother the same specializing in Architectural photography. Travels the world doing so as a freelance selling to many companies and hired by many including National Geographic and magazines. David Sunberg is his name. Guess it’s in her genes. 😂😂

Fun update....would love to see her work.

dc