Fuel Tank Replacement

Mangroovin

Took boat out on Saturday morning.

Brought it back, put in my garage and noticed smell of gas.  Figured maybe because I had just washed, hatches open etc.

Smelled it Sunday still and today.

Get home after work, pull boat out and truck into garage so boat is on an angle.  

About a gallon of gas came out the drain plug hole then it stopped.  Obviously a problem.

With my baby being a 2003 21 RF and based on Dino and other previous posts on this matter Im thinking I have an aluminum tank that might have decided to call it quits.

Taking it in tomorrow for a diagnosis.  Ugh.  🙄

10 hours ago, Mangroovin said:

With my baby being a 2003 21 RF and based on Dino and other previous posts on this matter Im thinking I have an aluminum tank that might have decided to call it quits.

20 years on an aluminum tank is about right......I got lucky on my MA17 1995..but, it was severely pitted....

buckle up and sit down when you get the estimate....I would say you are looking at $12-15K these days to have it done correctly....

Be sure to do a re-wire while you taking apart the console.....if you are up to it, you can create your own wiring harness and do the install after the tank is installed.

In today's market, it's still less expensive than "NEW" or "New to me"....similar vessels.   The price of a  tank is not even a down payment on new :(

dc

Just had the tank replaced on my 2003 MA and it was a long and expensive process.  Getting the tank from Ezell was really very easy as they have all the specs. Hope you picked a shop that doesn’t slow roll the process. My whole cost was something like $9K but had some wire work done. I regret not doing a complete re-wire but how much money do you put into a 20 year old boat.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mangroovin said:

My baby has gone in for surgery aka gas tank replacement.  😁

Any estimates....

BTW, don't forget, the Outlaw (RALPH) and his team can give you a little VIP treatment on the tank to get it done...when I was doing mine, it was a 6 week wait, but, Ralph and his peeps got it done in 10 days.

dc

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Any estimates....

BTW, don't forget, the Outlaw (RALPH) and his team can give you a little VIP treatment on the tank to get it done...when I was doing mine, it was a 6 week wait, but, Ralph and his peeps got it done in 10 days.

dc

Dats what I am saying!

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Thanks Dino !

• Like 1