Couple questions and ideal prop for 04 Pathfinder 22T with vmax225 and tower

Lurchy

I am looking for an ideal three blade prop for my pathfinder and vmax 225 (04). I have a second station tower as well. I ran a four blade 13.5" that came with the boat for awhile, (Many issues with spinning the hub), then switched to a three blade and liked the performance better (fuel econ and performance). I would like recommendations on a new prop and size.. maybe a saltwater series II HP 15.25", 18 pitch? No expert, just want a good, overall dependable, economical, fuel efficient prop. Thanks for any info shared..

I am now in the market bc a thought a spun my three blade prop but I now think I have a different issue. I was running on plane and the motor just seemed to go out of gear all the sudden (no clanking, just revved up a lot), put it in neutral a few times and got it back up on plane and it would happen again later in the day.  It didn't matter if I ran it from either top or bottom station. I took the prop to get re-hubbed (another story) but put it back on and it ran well for a mile or so then it happened again.. Anyone have any thoughts? Something more serious with the lower unit?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. I will def take a look at the tempest. I think my mechanic finally diagnosed the issue with the coming out of gear.. Looks like a potentiometer going bad in the gray electronics control box under the throttle. Hope a replacement can be obtained and I can get back out there and just fish.

You have cables to shift the gears. With a second station tower, there will be a junction where the shifting happens.  There are adjustments that join the two clutch levers. It sounds like the cables are not shifting completely into gear and the engine pops out of gear.  Have a good mechanic or engine rigger look at it.. That’s not good for anything in the motor or the lower unit.. 

MM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was a potentiometer going bad in the gray electronics control box under the throttle. It was replaced and the boat runs fine now. Mechanic said that we were lucky to get the replacement part as most of the parts for the controls are discontinued. 2005 controls seems to be completely outdated and parts will be nearly impossible to find.

One important piece of information that you did not give us was the make or pitch of the three blade prop that you had. I have a run a lot of props on my 2200trs. I do not have a second station only a t-top. My thought would be that you need a fairly special prop to lift the weight of the second station. I personally have had better results with mercury props than other brands. That is largely due in part to the fact that I have tried more mercury props than other brands. I will leave out my thoughts on four blades since you seem to be looking for only three blade prop that will work for you. The tempest plus is a great prop that seems to lift hulls out of the water very well. They are also pretty easy to find in used and good condition. The Enertia is also a big blade prop that runs very well and in my experience has good bite on the water. Now my newest three blade is the Enertia ECO. This prop was designed for fuel economy. The word is they built it for fuel economy but found out it is pretty fast as well. The ECO is my newest in a long line of props. I have only run it once. It 40mph at 3800 rpm. I was impressed with that and it probably jumped on plane faster than some very nice four blades I own. 
 Now to pitch. Your 225 2smoke should spin up pretty well. I can tell you before I flashed my 200SHO. I was running a 19 pitch tempest plus that was spinning up to the upper end of the rpm range. Just throwing a dart not knowing what 3 blade prop or the pitch of said prop that you ran I would say 19pitch might do you well. Again I do not have a second station so you might need 18 or so on the pitch. 
 I know that is saying a lot not to give a direct answer but I just have no experience with a boat with a second station. 

yes my wife does call me a prop whore! 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Honey B, you prop whore you! Very useful advise. It seems I am getting about the same fuel econ between both the three and four blade prop. With light loads the four blade is fine, but with the main well full and another person, I definitely feel bogged down trying to get up on plane. I am going to look for used Enertia ECO in a 19pitch