2003 Hewes Redfisher - Water in fuel tank

Kyle

Need help- 

I have 2003 Hewes Redfisher 18’ and have been struggling with getting water in the fuel tank. This happens most noticeably when the boat is sitting on a lift, completely out of the water and cover on it. We spend winter months in Southern Florida, and the boat sits during long stretches of the summer months. Upon our return the last few trips, I’ve had considerable amounts rof water in the fuel. This most recent trip, I’ve pumped out over 3 gallons and still haven’t gotten fuel. I’m pumping via fuel bulb pump, and draining it out at a fuel/water separator.

Ive replaced the o-ring at the filler cap, with no luck.

Any advice or things to check? Getting desperate.

For what its worth, I have a 2003 21 RF that is getting a new fuel tank put in due to a leak that finally reared its ugly head in my 20yr 5month old tank.  Everyone says right at about 20 years the tanks will likely fail.  They were correct.  Its not the end of the world but it will cost some $$ and down time of course removing, replacing, re glassing, etc.  Im possibly getting mine back this Friday.  😁

On 12/24/2023 at 2:39 PM, Kyle said:

his most recent trip, I’ve pumped out over 3 gallons and still haven’t gotten fuel.

I've been on the forum for 20+ years and I've never heard of this type of issue....

There are only two places water can enter your system....

1.) Fuel fill / gas cap

2.) Vent

3 gallons is a huge amount of water.

You mention is it's covered....can someone be sabotaging you...

How can the boat even be running with that much water in the tank....the water will settle that's why you are seeing so much after a long period of time.

I've heard of situations where, as mentioned above, the water enters through the vent when in heavy seas....but, in those cases, you may get a gallon......but, 3 gallon?  

If you don't have gas in the bilge or have a heavy smell, the tank should be sealed, but, you can take it to a service where they will pump the fuel and clean it up.

The, I would have the tank pressure tested.

good luck and please report back.....

dc

Have you checked the hose at the connection to the gas fill and the sealer between the fill and the deck. Checked all hose clamps to fuel system. If not all tight rain/wash water could back flow into tank but 3 gal I would not thing so. All fitting on fuel tank. If you feel this is being done by a person, mark you fill cap in some way to see if it has been touched. Non noticeable marking. Best of luck, fin

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 4:49 PM, Mangroovin said:

For what its worth, I have a 2003 21 RF that is getting a new fuel tank put in due to a leak that finally reared its ugly head in my 20yr 5month old tank.  Everyone says right at about 20 years the tanks will likely fail.  They were correct.  Its not the end of the world but it will cost some $$ and down time of course removing, replacing, re glassing, etc.  Im possibly getting mine back this Friday.  😁

Mangroovin, I live in the same area as you.  You mind letting me know who did your tank swap, about what it ran you and if you were satisfied with everything?  With my tank really topped off, I smell gas in the front hatch, but not the bilge... so could just be a plumbing issue, but my RF is a 2007 and I'm looking to do a full rewire on the boat and may just redo the tank and have the stringers checked