Trolling Motor Plug Placement

Golden Dog

Guys, 

I haven't had luck searching for this information so thought I'd just ask.  I picked up a 2000 Bayfisher, which has the same anchor compartment configuration as the 2001+ style Redfisher's (with the four bow lockers).  I'm curious where everyone is mounting their trolling motor plug receptacles.  What's currently there is an under-rated 40A Marinco plug, fitted inside of a gas cap style receptacle, through the front deck and horizontal...not ideal to keep the water out.  My new Xi5 needs a higher rated 60A plug assembly and I intend to go with the battery tender.  Looking for pics of how/where others have installed their receptacles...battery tender or otherwise.  Somewhere in the anchor locker seems like the best bet but it's tight in there.

Any inspiration greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Ditto on the Anderson plugs. And to be clear I use the SB50 which is smaller than the sb175 I linked above. SB50 is rated to 120 amps and has terminals to accommodate 10 to 6 awg wire which is more appropriate for a trolling motor. 

As RedZone said, never an issue with them. No corrosion, provide a good connection, nothing to mount, and they're dirt cheap, about 10 bucks a pair. 

I'd do like HoneyB but skip the plug. I wire mine direct to the battery with no plug, of course adding a breaker. In the rare event that I need to remove the trolling motor it takes me an extra 2 minutes to loosen the nut on the battery terminal. Less chance for issues and cheaper/simpler install.

On 1/5/2024 at 8:35 AM, Tender said:

I'd do like HoneyB but skip the plug. I wire mine direct to the battery with no plug, of course adding a breaker. In the rare event that I need to remove the trolling motor it takes me an extra 2 minutes to loosen the nut on the battery terminal. Less chance for issues and cheaper/simpler install.

I agree.....but, for those that need to remove the TM...there is a need for a good plug system....I've been using the battery tender for the last 7-8 years...and they have never failed.

dc