Lappy “squat”…….. Does it bother you?

skeletor1977

Hey Guys, I’ve been looking at a few older Redfisher/Bayfisher/Bonefisher Lappy models. I’ve found both 16 and 18 ft and I know that there is a pronounced “squat” look to them…… due to the forward vee. My question is does it bother you when fishing? It not being level I mean…… I realize that the boat will level somewhat with me and some batteries in the front. I also realize that if I wet test the boat I can find out for myself of course. But thought I’d ask here first. What about the 16 vs 18? Would you prefer one over the other? I am leaning towards the 18. Thanks for any help in advance.

I owned a 18 Lappy for a number of years. It had a 115V-4 on it I did not find it to squat at rest and it did not really require the use of tabs, I also carried 2 group 27 batteries in the forward compartment for the trolling motor. 150+ pounds from the batteries really play a significant role in leveling it out. Boats that I saw with a 150 seemed to squat quite a bit from the weight of the 150, but that goes for almost any 18' flats skiff in my opinion.

The weight of a 115 V-4 is only ~15# different from a new F115, so based on my experience I believe that if you get the weight distribution right by keeping batteries forward and keep the HP at 115 whether it be a new F115 or an older 2 stroke you it will sit level.

The early CAD hulls sat stern heavy and squatty in my opinion but again weight distribution is key.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 2:54 AM, skeletor1977 said:

Hey Guys, I’ve been looking at a few older Redfisher/Bayfisher/Bonefisher Lappy models. I’ve found both 16 and 18 ft and I know that there is a pronounced “squat” look to them…… due to the forward vee. My question is does it bother you when fishing? It not being level I mean…… I realize that the boat will level somewhat with me and some batteries in the front. I also realize that if I wet test the boat I can find out for myself of course. But thought I’d ask here first. What about the 16 vs 18? Would you prefer one over the other? I am leaning towards the 18. Thanks for any help in advance.

I loved the squat look of my Lappy when sitting at rest. And no, you really don't notice it when you're on the front deck fishing.

• Like 1

I have a 200hp on my lappy 18' redfisher so it has more squat then your usual 115 hp boat would. (Pictured)

Ive honestly never really thought about it at all while on the boat. Ive been on a couple flats boats over the years and its not something Ive ever noticed as being different or an issue while walking around fishing on the boat. 

As far as the size... My buddy had a 16' and it rode similar to my 18'. I really love the additional length, hp, and storage you gain with the 18' over the 16. You can also fish a third person on board more easily. 

You can't go wrong with either. 

946902C2-3DCD-470C-88C9-D61811F59960.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 10:32 PM, Toeknee217 said:

I have a 200hp on my lappy 18' redfisher so it has more squat then your usual 115 hp boat would. (Pictured)

Ive honestly never really thought about it at all while on the boat. Ive been on a couple flats boats over the years and its not something Ive ever noticed as being different or an issue while walking around fishing on the boat. 

As far as the size... My buddy had a 16' and it rode similar to my 18'. I really love the additional length, hp, and storage you gain with the 18' over the 16. You can also fish a third person on board more easily. 

You can't go wrong with either. 

946902C2-3DCD-470C-88C9-D61811F59960.jpeg

The published weight on a 18 is right at 800lbs…… I can’t imagine how that 200hp is on that boat!

Mercury made a line of V-6 carbed 2-stroke motors that weighed 400 lbs. Current 115 4-strokes are about the same weight. 
That looks like one of those 2.7 liter Mercs.  If you move your batteries north it helps level the boats as said above. 
Pretty nimble skiff, I would imagine. 👍

MM

• Like 3

On 1/4/2024 at 7:25 AM, Moderator said:

Mercury made a line of V-6 carbed 2-stroke motors that weighed 400 lbs. Current 115 4-strokes are about the same weight. 
That looks like one of those 2.7 liter Mercs.  If you move your batteries north it helps level the boats as said above. 
Pretty nimble skiff, I would imagine. 👍

MM

Yes I bought this 2.5l carbed Merc  for the boat because it only weights about 400lbs. I have the trolling batteries up front and rides great.  

To the OP my point is dont let the squat be a factor in choosing a lappy or not 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had 18 Lappy for a decade and yes, had the squat.  TM batteries forward in bow compartment helped a little.  Changed from 115 Yammy to 140 Suzuki, about 50lbs more and not much impact on squat.  Keep the plugs in the deck drains when at rest.  No issue when fishing, though add my weight up on the poling platform and would bump bottom in about 10-11".  

Lots of great times from Owners Tourn in SC south to the Keys, Chocko, freshwater St Johns and all around Indian River Lagoon.    Have a Pathy now, no more poling.. still miss the Lappy.  

• Like 1